페이지 이미지

Richard Dos Santos. Dos Santos took the family to the Ramada Inn at JFK Airport, where they stayed until March 20, a Monday.

March 19, 1973.Cozzi and Molittieri said, in a wire to Customs headquarters in Washington, that Frank Peroff and his family had departed Rome for the United States on March 16 aboard Pan American Airlines Flight 119. The report went on to state that the Peroff's were given $500 per diem expense money to cover the period March 1 through March 20. The cable said that Cozzi had paid Peroff "extra expenses" of $336 for costs incurred during Peroff's February 15 through February 27 visit to Canada for the cost of an "undercover rental car" which Peroff used in Rome. Another expense paid by Customs, the wire said, was $1,323.50, the cost of air transportation back to the United States for Mrs. Peroff and the five Peroff children. This payment, the cable disclosed, had to do with work Peroff “had accomplished for the Secret Service.” Cozzi and Molittieri also warned in the cable that Peroff was the kind of informant who expected the government to pay him more expense money than he was entitled to and that, therefore, agents who dealt with Peroff in the future should be specific and precise about arrangements for payments to Peroff.

March 20, 1973. Richard Dos Santos had the Peroffs check out of the Ramada Inn at the Kennedy Airport. He took them to a hotel in Brooklyn and told them this would be their quarters while the Bouchard heroin inquiry was conducted. Peroff objected to his family having to stay at this hotel. Peroff told Dos Santos he wanted his family to be lodged at the New York Hilton Hotel. Dos Santos took the Peroffs to the New York Hilton Hotel where they registered in a $66 a day suite. The suite was charged to Richard Dos Santos.

March 20, 1973.Peroff, at the direction of Customs agents, flew aboard an Eastern Airline shuttle from LaGuardia Airport in New York to Washington, D.C. where he was met by Customs Agent Douglas McCombs. McCombs and Peroff left the main terminal at National Airport and walked to the adjacent General Aviation Terminal where private aircraft are serviced. They were joined by a man Peroff remembered as Bob and identified as being a Lear jet pilot who had just flown in from West Palm Beach, Fla. The pilot, Bob. was accompanied by a Customs agent from the Homestead Air Force Base in Dade County, Florida. It was agreed that Peroff would fly in the Lear jet to Montreal, with Bob piloting the aircraft and the Ilomestead Air Force Base Customs agent serving as copilot.

March 21, 1973.-Peroff had lunch at Moishe's Restaurant in Montreal with Giuseppe (Pepe) Cotroni, Conrad Bouchard, Claude Lemoyne and Dominic Torrente. Illicit drug transactions were discussed, Cotroni told Peroff he wanted to use the Lear jet to make a shipment of heroin to Windsor, Ontario. Cotroni questioned Peroff extensively to establish that Peroff

' was a person with connections in the underirorld. Following the luncheon, Cotroni told Peroff that he liked him.

March 21, 1973.–Following the luncheon at Moishe's, Peroff, Lemoyne and Bouchard flew in the Lear jet to Quebec City, where Bouchard conducted a meeting with a restaurant owner. They returned to Montreal in the Lear jet that evening.

March 22, 1973.-Peroff provided the Lear jet to Conrad Bouchard, Claude Lemoyne and an associate of Cotroni named Louis Cote. The men flew to Windsor, Ontario, in the Lear jet flown by the pilot named Bob and the Customs agent from Homestead AFB, In Windsor, Cote, Lemoyne and Peroff went to a pizzeria and waited while Bouchard, carrying a briefcase, met in a private home occupied by a woman named Andrea Delisi. Also at the home of Miss Delisi was a Detroit racketeer and known drug dealer named John Fecarotta. Following the meeting Bouchard returned to the pizzeria, picked up Peroff, Cote and Lemoyne and the four men returned to the Windsor airport and the Lear jet flew back to Montreal. Customs agents believed a heroin transaction had taken place in which Fecarotta had bought $30,000 in heroin from Bouchard.

Spring of 1973.--Secret Service agents traced the counterfeit money Peroff had given them to a plant in Passaic, New Jersey. Agents learned that the counterfeit money was printed at the Passaic plant and then shipped to Montreal for distribution. The Passaic installation was "surpressed" by government agents.

April 4, 1973.-Richard Dos Santos wrote a memorandum for his superiors in which he asserted that Peroff was becoming “increasingly disenchanted” and highly critical of the way Federal agencies were treating him. Dos Santos reported that Peroff felt that he had been enticed into the new investigation on the promise of receiving a big reward but that now the reward offer had been withdrawn and that Peroff felt that the Government owed him "iron clad guaranties" that he be rewarded for his contributions to the investigation. Peroff was complaining that the Government's interest in the heroin case no longer centered on the location of the clandestine heroin laboratory in Marseilles and that instead government agents now were primarily concerned with gathering evidence against Giuseppe (Pepe) Cotroni. Dos Santos, in his memorandum, said that Peroff now claimed to have been in recent contact with three men Conrad Bouchard, the racketeer: Vernon D). Icree, the C.S. (Commissioner of Customs; and Jack Anderson, the syndicated Washington columnist. Dos Santos said Peroff threatened to take his complaints to the New York news media and the White House.

pril (, 1973.-Frank Peroff flew to Washington and met with Vernon İcree, the Commissioner of Customs, at which time he complained about money owed him by the Customs Service and about the treatment he had received from Customs Agents.

April 11, 1973.A 20-point agreement was drawn up at the Customs Service for the purpose of “clarifying several points of misunderstanding regarding the conditions" of Perofl's service to the gorarriment. In the agreement, written mp in an April 16, 1973 memorancum by Issistant Cristoms Commissioner Harold F. Smith, it was asserted that certain expenses of Peroff's would be paid by the Customs Service and that he would continue to work in an unlercover capacity on the Conrad Bouchard heroin inquiry. It was also stipulated that Peroff's control agent would be Richari Dos Santos. In addition, the Customs agreement asserted that Judy Peroff and the children would le moved from New York to Puerto Rico.

April 12, 1973.Customs officials paid Peroff $7,900 in twenty $20 bills, fourteen $50 bills and sixty-eight $100 bills. In addition, Cus

toms officials paid a $2,847 bill the Peroff family had run up at the New York Hilton Hotel.

April 13, 1973.-Judy Peroff and the five Peroff children left New York and flew to San Juan, Puerto Rico where they were met at the airport by Customs agent Octavio Pinol. Peroff himself remained in New York and registered at the International Hotel at the JFK Airport. In San Juan, Pinol took Judy Peroff and the children to quarters in the Villa Cristobal Apartments. Judy Peroff protested that the quarters were inadequate to her family's needs. A dispute broke out, Pinol called Richard Dos Santos and Dos Santos persuaded Judy Peroff to stay at the Villa Cristobal for a few days until better quarters could be found.

April 16, 1973.Peroff informed Richard Dos Santos that he, Peroff, had obtained improved housing for his family in Puerto Rico, having worked out an arrangement with a condominium owner whose apartment was in Isla Verde, a suburb of San Juan. Then Frank Peroff left New York and flew to San Juan to join his family.

April 25-28, 1973.-Frank Peroff was in Montreal where he worked in an undercover capacity for the U.S. Customs Service on the heroin inquiry involving Conrad Bouchard.

May 2 and 3, 1973.-Frank Peroff met in New York with U.S. Customs officials and described his April 25 to April 28 visit to Montreal. Peroff told Customs officials that Bouchard was planning to use the Peroff executive jet in a 100 kilogram heroin smuggling effort that would require Peroff

' to fly to Marseilles or Nice, France, pick up the drugs and fly into either Canada or the United States. Peroff told Customs officials that if Conrad Bouchard went to jail Giuseppe Cotroni or John Fecarotta would step in and run the 100 kilogram transaction.

May 3, 1973.–Customs agents John Verklan and Gary Liming, assigned to the Detroit Organized Crime Strike Force, interrogated Peroff at the Statler Hilton Hotel in New York for about two hours in connection with Perofl's knowledge of criminal activities in the Detroit area, in the Bahamas, and with the airplane ride Peroff had provided Conrad Bouchard to Windsor, Ontario the previous March. It was during this interview with Verklan and Liming that Peroff referred to Robert Vesco as a powerful figure in the Bahamas and a person with organized crime connections. Peroff also explained to the agents the techniques he would employ to smuggle into the United States large quantities of heroin aboard an executive jet. Peroff told the agents that the heroin transaction being planned by Cotroni and Bouchard called for a shipment of 100 to 150 kilograms of heroin. The heroin would be purchased at the price of $3,000 a kilogram. Peroff said Mafia operatives in Detroit would manage the heroin once it arrived in the U.S. and that proceeds would be divided three wars between Italian crime families in Detroit, New York and Chicago. Peroff said Bouchard did not prefer to do business with Cotroni but that Cotroni had the resources to finance the transaction and that "Cotroni needs Bouchard for the French connection." Peroff said a gangland war could break out in Montreal because of disputes over how to handle proceeds from drug sales and other matters.

Vay 10, 1973.- A Federal Grand Jury in New York indicted former Attorney General John Mitchell, former Commerce Secretary Maurice Stans and financier Robert Vesco in connection with charges that Mitchell and Stans tried to influence a Securities and Exchange Commission action against Vesco in return for Vesco's $250,000 campaign contribution to President Nixon's re-election.

May 10, 1973.--Douglas A. McCombs, a Senior Customs Narcotics Igent, working out of the Washington Ileadquarters of the Service, wrote a memorandum in which he discussed the possibility that Conrad Bouchard might flee Canada and, at the same time, attempt to carry through on the massive heroin deal. McCombs pointed out in his memorandum that he and the RCMP thought it quite likely that Bouchard would enlist Frank Peroff and the Lear jet in both the heroin plot and the escape effort.

May 13, 1973.-Frank Peroff was directed to return to Montreal. He checked in at the Airport Hilton Hotel where he met with Cpl. Claude Savoie of the RCMP.

May 14, 1973.-Peroff checked into the Seaway Motor Inn in downtown Montreal and was paid a visit by two of Conrad Bouchard's associates, Louis Cote and Claude Lemovne. The three men discussed the possibility of smuggling into North America a large shipment of hashish.

May 15, 1973.-Claude Lemoyne again talked over the possibility of a hashish smuggling effort and stated that the origin of the bashish would be Pakistan.

May 15, 1973.–Customs Agent Sidney Bowers, in Montreal, entered a notation in his diary in which he said that Special Agent Douglas McCombs was opposed to the hashish deal.

May 16, 1973.–Bowers noted in his diary that it was the judgment of drug agents of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that Peroff ve taken out of Montreal and that he was to close out his involvement at that time in the proposed hashish operation.

May 16, 1973.- Peroff met with Bouchard in Bouchard's home and demanded $30,000 in advance. The advance money was to be used to make improvements on Peroff's Lear jet. Bouchard was outras this demand for advance money but later calmed down and said while he could not raise $30,000 he might be able to come up with $10,000, The Bowers diary entry noted that Bouchard warned Peroff that he conld not walk out on the hashish deal and that "the Italians aren't going to let you back out."

May 17, 1973.—Peroff waited at the Seaway Motel for further instructions from Bouchard but he received no direction.

May 18, 1973.Bouchard, Lemoyne and (ote came to Peroff's room at the Seaway and took him to a tavern where Peroff was confronted by the nephew of Tom Solarik. The nephew accused Peroff of being the police informant in the arrest of his imcle. Peroff denied the charge and persuaded the Solarik relative that he had not been a government informant in Paris. May 19, 1973.- Peroff abruptly left Montreal and returned to New York, telling the Bouchard group that he needed to check on the repair work being made on his Lear jet.

May 21, 1973.-Peroff made telephone contact with Bouchard. Bouchard said the hashish plan had been cancelled. Bouchard said the original proposal involving 100 kilograms of heroin had now been reactivated.

May 21, 197.3.—Bowers noted in his diary that the Bouchard group had discarded the hashish plan and had returned to their original concept of bringing in a large shipment of heroin.

May 22, 1973.Peroff again spoke on the telephone with Bouchard. Bouchard said he now envisioned a shipment as large as 200 kilograms of heroin. Bouchard said the shipment would be executed within the next two weeks.

May 23, 1973.-The Bowers diary noted that Bouchard was now proposing that a heroin transaction was to be executed in early June "for twice original amount.” The diary entry also recorded that Bouchard wanted Peroff to contact a New York hoodlum named James Episcopia, also known as Jimmy Legs. The purpose of the proposed meeting with Jimmy Legs was to work out an arrangement whereby Bouchard and Peroff could use Legs in obtaining sufficient funds to finance a large heroin transaction. Jimmy Legs was a known trafficker in stolen and bogus securities as well as illicit drugs.

June 26, 1973.—Customs Agent Octavio Pinol, working out of the San Juan office, received a phone call in which he was instructed by Customs officials that Peroff would remain an informant for the Customs Service after the transfer of narcotics functions to the new Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

June 28, 1973.-Customs Agent Octavio Pinol sent two cassette recordings of telephone conversations between Peroff and Conrad Bouchard to Richard Dos Santos in New York.

June 28, 1973.The Puerto Rico Telephone Company cut off telephone service in Frank Peroff's home. Also on this date, Octavio Pinol took back from Peroff Customs tape recording equipment with which Peroff had been recording his telephone calls with Conrad Bouchard. Pinol had the telephone service cut off due to the nearly $3,000 in telephone bills Peroff had run up. Pinol took away the tape recording equipment because his supervisor, Jesus Martinez, told him to in light of the imminent transfer of narcotics functions from Customs to DEA.

June 29, 1973.-John O. Brockman, Acting Assistant Commissioner in the Office of Investigations at the Customs Service, sent a wire to Custonis offices in Miami and New York. The Brockman cable authorized payment of $500 for the Peroffs' rent for June and authorized the San Juan Customs office to pay the bill for the installation of a telephone in Peroff's apartment and to pay for Peroff's official phone calls. Brockman directed New York Customs oflice to pay Peroff per diem of $25.00 a day for 38 days--for a total of $950.00--for the period of May 24 to June 30, 1973. Another $148.38 was to be paid Peroff by the New York office for the costs involved in Peroff's having taken "suspects" for drinks and dinner and, in addition, for several telephone calls Peroff placed. Brockman's cable went on to say that "continuing delays" in the Bouchard inquiry meant that the investigation would not be completed by July 1, 1973 so that, as of that date, the case would be taken over by the DEA.

Mid or Late June of 1973.-Peroff, in a telephone conversation with his control agent, Richard Dos Santos, said that he could provide in

« 이전계속 »