페이지 이미지

being then very rough. I was looking at them until dark; and, after great difficulty, they succeeded in attaching a hawser to the wreck, which shortly broke, and, night coming on, they were obliged to leave her. On the Thursday morning, at daylight, she was discovered by a young man to have drifted in the same position on to a reef of rocks at the entrance of the bay, where the famous Sir Cloudesley Shovel was washed ashore. He got into the water, and in attempting to pull a sail on shore, which was hanging to the wreck, he discovered the body of one of the crew entangled therein ; and, to his utter astonishment, heard voices within the wreck, “For God's sake, save us !” He immediately called two or three men to his assistance, and on their pulling away a piece of plank sufficiently for one of them to pass his arm into the vessel, his hand was eagerly seized by a person within; they then went to work, and after some little time managed to make a hole sufficiently large to drag a person down through the deck (the parties being then up to their. middles in the sea), and in this manner, to their astonishment, brought on shore three men and a boy, alive and well. Two of them proved to be the master and mate, from whose account it appears she was a French vessel from Dunkirk, bound to Marseilles, with a cargo of oi!: that on Monday evening previous, about eight o'clock, two men were on deck, and the parties saved, with the one found alongside, were in the cabin, when, in a heavy squall, the vessel in a moment turned completely over, not allowing time for the water to run into her, by which means the internal air kept the water out; the two men on deck were, of course, washed away, but those in the cabin had existed there without food from the Monday evening until Thursday morning, when the poor fellow, whose corpse was found alongside, had been killed that morning by some of the cargo getting loose on her striking the rocks, and drifted him out through a part of the deck which was broken away in deep water.


Damaged. Stranded. Foundered Abandoned. Sunk. Condemned. Wrecked Not heard of.


[blocks in formation]

And if we allow that for every Ten of these casualties only ONE perished, this would give a melancholy addition of NINETY to the preceding number.

The brig Liotus (or Lotus), of Sunderland, passed the Pentland Firth, Nov. 26, from America, with only four men and mate on board, the captain and the rest of the crew being washed overboard in a heavy gale of wind.

Niewediep, Nov, 8. The Dutch vessel Anna Louisa, De Jong, from Am. sterdam for Batavia, has put back with damage, having run on board a French fishing-boat, which is supposed to have gone down with all hands.

Chale (I. W.), Nov. 18. It blew a dreadful gale at s.s.w. nearly the whole of last night; twelve casks of butter have been washed on shore, marked “W. Minns & Co., fine fresh gross butter, and Kree K, in a diamond, D. C. C, under No. 20, Manteiga, superior de Hamburgo Manteca de la Mar. A, No. 23." It is supposed a vessel has foundered at sea.

Kilmichael, Nov. 16. Twelve or thirteen casks of butter washed on shore on this island 14th instant, supposed from some vessel that has foundered.

Cromer, Nov. 27. Since the gale of the 22d instant, a sloop's mast, with square topsail-yard, shows itself above water, about half-a-mile outside the stream of the Foulness Rocks Buoy, bearing about E.S.E. from the buoy; and it is much feared her crew were drowned when she foundered, as nothing has yet been heard of them.

We have not been able to ascertain the name of the vessel above-mentioned, but as she lies in a very dangerous position for vessels going coastwise (about two miles and a half from land), we think it better to be made public.

Mauritius, July 29. The Harriet, Parsons, from Bourbon for this port, sprung a leak on the passage, and foundered ; six of the crew drowned.

New Orleans, Oct. 15. The ship Sweden arrived here, fell in with, September 15, lat. 48, lon. 33 30, the wreck of a three-masted vessel, water-legged, apparently timber laden; and a British vessel with painted ports, all the masts gone, and name washed off the stern,

Ceara, Oct. 18. The Glorat, Metcalf, from Liverpool, arrived 11th instant, took fire on 13th, and was entirely destroyed; crew and very small part of the cargo saved.

Newhaven, Nov. 14.- The Sir John Seale, Millman, a new schooner, coal-laden, of and for Dartmouth, from Scotland, sunk at low water-mark, and much injured ; crew saved, after being eight hours in the rigging, and nearly perished from fatigue.

Grimsby, Nov. 14.--Sunk on the Sand Hale, a billy-buoy-sloop, name on her stern, “ Rambler," with topsail-yard—masthead painted green, inside bulwarks yellow, mainboom white, which was brought here by No. 8, Pilot Cutter. No tidings of crew. It is to be feared the poor fellows have found a watery grave.

Grimsby, Nov. 18. The sloop Perseverance, Wentworth, of and from Hull, sunk on the Nore Sand; no tidings of the crew have come to hand. Another sloop sunk on the Binks; name and other particulars unknown.

Liverpool, Nov. 17. A sloop sunk in East Hoyle, during the night; crew supposed to be lost.

Hastings, Nov. 26. Thomas Bumsted, master of a Hastings fishing boat, while engaged in fishing this afternoon off Fairlight, discovered the topgallant pole of a sunken vessel about six or seven feet above the water, in 20 fathoms water, Hastings, bearing n.n.w. about 15 miles, which has also been seen by other fishing boats, but at present no further particulars are known either of the vessel or crew.

Great Yarmouth, Nov. 14. The gale of Friday morning has proved most destructive, great many ships sunk and dismasted on, the coast. The crew of the barque Campion, Cuppon, of Liverpool, are just arrived here, having lost their vessel upon Hasborough Sand, and it was with great difficulty the crew and passengers were saved by a Bacton fishing boat. The vessel was from St. John's (N. B.), for Hull, timber and deal laden; nothing has been saved from the wreck.

Salcombe, Nov. 14. A quantity of wreck, consisting of boxes of oranges and lemons, part of bulwarks and crosstrees of a vessel ; from appearances is likely to have belonged to a smack; has this day washed on shore at Thurlestone Sands, in Bigbury Bay; also a quantity of deals and lath wood; the lemon boxes are marked “Malaga.” It is feared there are two vessels lost on the coast, and that their crews have perished.

Port Talbot, No. 18. A small part of the deck of a North American-built vessel, came on shore last night at the mouth of the harbour, and the fragments of the wreck are along the shore.

Havre, Nov. 18. It is rumoured that a large American ship is on shore at Coqueville, near Barfleur, name unknown; crew said to be all drowned but four.

Texel, Nov. 25. Several pieces of wreck, and part of a name-board marked “ Nerva,” in black and white letters, and about eleven to twelve hundred deal planks, from six to thirty feet long, and six inches thick, marked “ C.M.. C. A. R., &c. have been picked up on this coast.

Hartlepool, Dec. 1. Picked up by the Norfolk, Cook, of Shoreham, on Saturday, the 27th ult., near the Kentish Knock, a bible and box, labelled Sarah, of Sunderland. A good deal of wreck was seen at the same time.


THE RIVER. A most violent hurricane set in on Tuesday evening, 17th Nov. soon after five o'clock, and committed great mischief on the river, accompanied with the loss of several lives. The storm exceeded in violence that of Friday last, and came on very suddenly. On the river the loss of property was very great; the water was covered with deals, pieces of timber, broken wherries, barges, and other craft, which had gone adrift during the night. The Thames police recovered several lighters in a sinking state, and towed them ashore. During the hurricane the greatest alarm prevailed in the pool, occasioned by the Millhole tier of colliers and other vessels having gone adrift, in consequence of the outer arm of the moorings breaking. The tier drifted against another tier of shipping, which also broke luose from their moorings. To avoid collision with the drifting ships, others got under weigh, and a few ran ashore out of harm's way, until the rising of the tide floated them off. Twenty or thirty vessels were, more or less, damaged. Some lost their fore-topmasts, and others their main-topmasts. One vessel carried away her bowsprit and mainmast, another had her stern knocked in, and two their quartergalleries stove in.

A seaman was brought ashore at Ratcliff, during the storm, with his arm broken, caused by the falling of some broken spars. Two barges laden with coals, were broken to pieces by some of the vessels coming into collision with them.

Soon after the storm had abated, a boat was found bottom upwards in the river near Greenwich, and under one of the thwarts was a boy, an apprentice to a watermap of Greenwich. He appeared to have been dead several hours. It appears that he left Bugsby's-hole, for Greenwich, in a boat, which it is supposed was overturned by a squall.

A ship’s boat was picked up by a Thames police-constable, in Limehouse-reach. The boat was broken to pieces, and her stern and keel gone.

Upwards of 100 watermen's boats were stove in, or broken to pieces, during the storm, between London-bridge and Greenwich.

The effects of the storm were severely felt above bridge. Between Hungerford Market and London Bridge no fewer than eighteen barges, laden with coals and other cargoes, were sunk. A sailing-barge, laden with a general cargo, and moored at anchor off the Red House, Battersea, went down in five fathoms water- the bargemen narrowly escaped with their lives. About the same time, a sailingvessel laden with bricks was capsized off Battersea Church, and a man in the cabin perished. Two coal barges, deeply laden, sunk near the Surrey side of Waterloo, bridge. A barge, coal-laden, went adrift from the road off the King's Arms Stairs, Lambeth, and went down near the bridge, and all the coals were turned out of her. A few minutes afterwards, a light barge sunk on the top of the other barge.

[blocks in formation]

Abstract from the Log-Book of the Exmouth.

On the 4th, 34 afternoon, commenced a strong breeze from the N. E. ; ship running nine miles per hour, without the slightest indication of bad weather. At 8, the weather appeared unsettled, barometer standing at 30 inches; sent down royal and main-top-gallant yards.

Sounded the well at 14 inches; pumped ship, and broke one of the brass screws, which rendered the pumps useless. At 9, the barometer fell to 29 50– called all hands ; in third reef of the fore and main-topsail, and close-reefed the mizen; furled main-sail, and made the ship snug. At 11, strong gale ; barometer 29 30; close-reefed the fore and main-topsail, and furled the fore-sail and mizentop-sail. At 12, gale increasing, and appeared very unsettled barometer, 29 26. At 1, wind increased to a harder gale, with a very high sea. In fore-topsail, and hove the ship too, under the close-reefed maio. Sounded the well, and found 20 inches. Sent the watch below to pump ship, but found to our astonishment that our remaining pump would not work.

At 2: 30, A. M., the gale increased to a perfect storm. In main-top sail; ship labouring very hard, and shipping much water. At 3, rudder-head broke; shipped the lower tiller. At 3 30 the carpenter reported three feet water in the hold, and much on the lower deck ; could not get either of the pumps to work. All hands at the well and lower deck with buckets ; water fast gaining on. At 3, 45, lower


tiller-liead gave way. Rudder working violently against the stern-post, carried away the rudder-pendant. At 4. 30, sounded the well at four feet-tiller-head again broke-shipped it the third time, and broke it from the violent motion of the rud. der. At 5 the rudder was carried away from the stern-post; shipped a great deal of water through the rudder plank; secured it as well as possible with beds, etc.; the sea, at this time, making a fair breach over the ship, fore-and-aft, carrying away every thing on deck before it. At 6 A.M. the storm still increasing ; all hands employed baling with buckets-fore-top-gallant mast flying ; jibboom and spritsail-yard blew away-cut away the main-top-gallant mast. At 10 A. M. the weather assumed every appearance of a hurricane, and the ship laying a perfect tog on the water. At noon, in a moment, the storm lulled to a calm, and the sun made his appearance.

At 1 P. M. the wind shifted from E. N. E. to s. 8. E., and commenced blowing with most awful fury-fore-top sail-yard and jibboom blew away-sounded the well, and found from seven to eight feet in the hold, and two to three on the lower deck. In this awful situation, seeing no signs of the hurricane abating, I gave orders for the fore and mainmast to be cut away, being the only chance of saving the ship from foundering ; having washed away all the lee hammock nettings, cuddy bulks head, two of the side-poop cabins, quarter gallery, and the sea washing away every article in them. At this moment the ship hove too on her beam ends, and not rising to the sea—when the top main-mast went over the side to leeward, carrying with it the mizen topmast, and a few remnants of the foremast went on the weather bow, ripping up the top-gallant forecastle, and carrying away the head. The ship now lightened, and was much relieved; but rolling most tremendously from loss of masts, and rendering it almost impossible to stand the deck. At 3 P. M. the starboard quarter boat blew from her lashing under the mizen top in numberless pieces. At 5, to our great joy, we got the larboard pump to work. At 6, found we gained on. Sounded at 6 feet. At sunset the violence of the wind abated. At 6 the barometer, which had sunk to 28.30, suddenly rose to 29—the ship now rolled most awfully, the sea tumbling over her fore-and-aft, like a half-tide rock. During the hurricane, the ladies collected in the lower great cabin, expecting every moment the poop-cabins to be carried away by the sea.

The above is an exact statement of the hurricane itself. In what anxiety and distress we were, until we met the barque Elora, Capt. Blair, bound to Glasgow, and even until our arrival at the Mauritins, considering the wrecked state in which we were. Further, that our cargo, consisting partly of jute, sugar, and rice, every instant threatened with taking fire, on account of its being inundated ; that it took several days to get up jury masts ; that the temporary rudders (three or four different were tried] never acted in a high sea; and, latterly, that the Elora, owing to her own weak state, and being a smaller craft, could not take us in tow before we came near the island in smooth water. Our escape was indeed the narrowest imaginable, and must in a great measure be attributed to the strength of the ship and the trades being in our favour. The hurricane was not felt at the Mauritius, which seems to prove that vessels are not secure by going so far to the eastward. We were 1100 miles from the island, as has hitherto been deemed expedient. Two hundred miles might be a safer distance; as, in case of accident, they would be nearer port, and save time and anxiety.

« 이전계속 »