페이지 이미지




[From Lloyd's List, and the Shipping and Mercantile Gazette, from 11th Feb. to 10th July, 1841.]

[blocks in formation]

Exhibiting a wreck of NINE SHIPS, with a probable loss of not less than NINETY LIVES!

Galway, May 1st. We have been informed, that at least twenty fishing boats with their crews have been lost during the last gale.


May 6th. Last Saturday was a woeful day in this bay, from Galway to ConneBetween Costello Bay, and Thiddaw, not less than twenty boats were wrecked. Forty boats escaped into Thiddaw harbour, and eleven boats were lost between the town and the Salmon Leap at Costello, below the Lodge. The loss of life is not yet known, but it is very great. It blew a hurricane, and it was pitiable to see so many men floating on the sea who could not be relieved. There was not so much damage done in this bay in the memory of man.


Extract from the log-book of the barqe Elizabeth, Captain Orr, from Glasgow: On the 26th January, in lat. 43 N. lon. 18 W. at 33 m. saw the mast of a wreck a-head; took in all studding-sails, and at 4 h. 30 mim. passed her stern, and there appeared to be several men under the maintop; rounded to under her lee, lowered the boat, and the captain went on board the wreck; she proved to be the Anna Maria, of Whitby, timber laden, water-logged, foremost gone, and jibboom out. On the main cat-harpins, which was surrounded by a piece of an old sail, there was a most awful sight presented to view-four putrid bodies quite black, lying huddled together; one arm, and parts of the body of a female, which had been cut asunder, and were hanging under the top; a bundle of canvass, which appeared to contain the body of a child, very much decomposed; this was lying between the futtock shrouds and the main rigging. Above it were a pair of woman's and a pair of children's corsets, tied to the futtock rigging, to screen them from the blast. On the fore part of the top lay, on a piece of canvass, the wasted remains of an old man, whose last horrid care appeared to have been to secure his portion of the mutilated female body, having one of the legs lying

partly under him, which he had been gnawing. A watch-pocket was hanging through the cat-harpins which the captain took. It contained a silver watch with embossed sides and chased back, in the centre of which the initials W. F. are engraved; a small brass key attached by a bit of black tape. The whole of the unfortunate creatures appeared to be but scantily clothed, and from all appearance must have been dead for some time. Night approaching, the captain returned on board, having taken nothing from the wreck but the watch.

Bordeaux, April 5th. The Thomas Green, Stewart, of North Shields, from Sunderland for this port, was wrecked at the entrance of the Gironde, 2nd inst.; five of the crew drowned-vessel gone to pieces.

Marseilles, February 17th. A British vessel (from bills of lading found on board, supposed the Onorato, Borg) was wrecked on the island of St. Pierre, Sardinia 24th ult. Crew drowned; part of cargo saved.

Philadelphia, March 30th. The Washington, Bishops, from Matanzas, has arrived. On the 18th March, at 2 p.m., in lat. 36°, long. 74° 30′, while lying-to in a heavy gale from north-west, passed a fore-and-aft schooner, lying under bare poles, head to west; at three she wore ship, and set her three-reef foresail; at four she capsized, and shortly after turned bottom up, she being then about 300 yards from us to our weather-bow; the sea and wind being at such an alarming height at the time, we could not render any assistance. She was painted black, with two narrow white mouldings, had a billet-head, and was light laden.

On the night of sunday, the 14th February, the East-Indiaman Heroine, from China for London, was totally lost near Azyla, near Cape Spartel. Out of sixty persons on board, about thirty-four are believed to have perished, principally Lascars. The vessel is a complete wreck, and it is feared that no part of her valuable cargo can be saved, though every measure is taking to effect that desirable object, as well as to afford the necessary protection on the coast. Her Majesty's agent and consul-general hastened from Tangiers to the wreck, to render personally all the aid in his power.

[blocks in formation]

And if we allow that, for every ten of these casualties, only ONE perished, this will give a melancholy addition of ONE HUNDRED to the preceding number.

• THE SHIP GOLCONDA.-On the 20th of August last, the 37th regiment Madras Native Infantry sailed for China from Madras, in the ships Golconda, Minerva, Sophia, and Thetis. The Golconda was the head-quarter ship of the regiment. Lieut.-Colonel William Isaacs commanded the troops, and Captain John Bonner Neeve was second in command. There were twelve other officers

[ocr errors]

in the Golconda, and three hundred and fifty-five soldiers, including camp followers. The regiment consisted of 1,100 men, all of whom arrived safely in China, excepting the detachment on board the Golconda; and have lately distinguished themselves in the capture of the Bocca Tigris forts, etc.; but no tidings whatever have been received of the fate of the Golconda. A letter from Madras, received yesterday, says, there remains not a doubt that she foundered in a typhoon which occurred about the time she must have been in the Chinese seas. Dreadful as the loss of the President will be, how much more lamentable, in point of numbers, is this frightful calamity.

+ LOSS OF THE AMERICAN WHALER SHYLOCK. Liverpool, February 15th. It appears by the information Captain Tabor has favoured us with, that this vessel struck upon a reef, during the night of the 20th of June, whilst going at the rate of seven knots. He was in his berth, thinking all safe, when he was aroused by shouts upon deck of 'Hard up!' the reef having been, he says, incorrectly laid down in Norie's chart. In a few seconds the ship struck, and all hands, twentyfive in number, took to the boats. One boat, however, with seven of the crew, was swamped, or could not get clear of the wreck. As it was impossible to render them any assistance, they were seen no more. Captain Tabor, with the other boats, then ran, without food, three nights and two days, 200 miles to Pifora, one of the Friendly Islands, where they were received and treated most kindly by the natives. After remaining nine days among the islands, he fell in with the missionary brigantine Triton, by which vessel, himself, the carpenter, and cook, came on; the remainder of the crew going, he thinks, to Sydney, by H.M.S. Favourite. On the same reef which proved fatal to the Shylock, another American ship was lost about three years since.

The Alexander, from Bremen for New Orleans, with emigrants, was wrecked off Port-au-Plate; one hundred and seventy emigrants saved.

Christiania, February 5th. Minerva, Evers, from Hull for Wismar, in entering Raasvaag, 21st ult., sunk in from twenty-four to twenty-six fathoms water, having previously struck on a rock; three pilots and six men drowned, the master and four men saved.

The WILLIAM BROWN. Havre, May 13. The American ship Crescent, Captain Ball, arrived here yesterday evening, with the remainder of the passengers of the William Brown, who were saved in the long-boat. The arrival of this vessel has confirmed all the horrid details given of the dreadful scene which took place during the night of the 20th and 21st of April. Of the sixteen passengers who were thrown into the sea, fourteen were men, and two women; of the seventeen saved, fifteen are women and two are men. One of these men was seized, for the purpose of being thrown overboard, by the crew of the boat. He cried out to the mate to save him, and not to tear him from his wife. The mate told the men not to separate man and wife, if it were possible to help it. He fell into the bottom of the boat, and was saved. A boy of twelve years old was thrown overboard ; he caught hold of the boat, and, favoured by the darkness of the night, crouched under the bows, and was saved. All the women saved are young, except the mother of a Scotch family in Dumfrieshire, who, with her five daughters and a servant girl, were saved; her name is Edgar. Her husband and son are settled in German Town, near Philadelphia. A young woman, with her infant at the

breast, succeeded in getting into the boat with her husband; they are amongst the survivors. His name is Patrick, from Cook's-town, county of Tyrone, the property of Colonel Stewart. Several persons from that gentleman's estate, or neighbourhood, have met with a watery grave. One family of the name of Leyden (sixteen in all,) sank with the vessel. Another family named Corr, (father, mother, and five children,) sank at the same time; the little boy who was thrown from the boat was one of that family;-he had not a soul left belonging to him. They were also from Colonel Stewart's property. A Mrs. Anderson, with three children, who was going to join her husband, a medical gentleman settled at Cincinnati, sank with the ship. Miss Anderson and a Miss Bradley were thrown into the sea from the longboat. The tales which the survivors relate are piteoushorrifying. The crew and passengers have been examined by the British and American consuls this morning, and the impression is, that the dreadful act of throwing their fellow-creatures overboard was of imperious necessity; but it is to be hoped the two consuls will give publicity to the examination, in order that the public mind may be satisfied on this point. Truly the circumstances must be made out in the clearest way, to palliate such an act. We have emigrant ships sailing every week; and if it be held as law that "might is right,” it had better be declared so, and that the crew are justified, under extremities, in throwing overboard whom, and as many as they think right, without casting lots, or making any choice than their will.-Morning Post,


The United States Courier gives an account of one of those appalling events which we are more accustomed to hear of in novels, than believe to take place in real life. The ship Charles, from New Orleans, was found abandoned in the Gulf of Mexico by the steam-boat Tiger. The captain of the Tiger went on board. He found on the table in the cab'n four bottles of porter, three parts empty, their necks knocked off, and the beer appeared to be still fresh. All the trunks, baggage, and clothes of the passengers and captain seem to have been carried off. Several marks of blood were on the floor, and some handspikes were cast on the starboard side of the deck, and an immense pool of blood was observed on the larboard side, which choked up the scuttles. Other marks on the port-holes proved that persons had been murdered and then cast into the sea. Everything showed the Charles had been the scene of a most horrid tragedy. Having examined every part of the vessel, the captain cruized about for five or six hours to see if he could discover some boat. He found at a distance of six miles a boat belonging to the Charles, with a dog in it, which appeared to have belonged to one of the passengers. The captain thinks the animal could not have been long abandoned, as it did not seem to drink the water offered to it with avidity. The authorities of New Orleans have sent two steamers, with sixty men in each, to cruize in the Gulf of Mexico, and a large boat with twenty-five men. No discovery had as yet taken place, but some suspected persons had been arrested. The opinion is generally entertained that the crew had mutinied, had massacred the captain, officers, and passengers, and having collected all the baggage, money, and objects of value (and it was known that there was an immense quantity on board), gained the land in the long-boat. Two circumstances seem to prove this-all the baggage of the crew was taken off; nothing was forgotten; and the handspikes, which seemed to have been the instruments of destruction, were most likely to

have been used by the sailors in such a demoniacal work. The French Consul at New Orleans has given a list of all the passengers by the Charles who had taken out passports in his office, but it appears certain that there were several passengers who had not done so. There were among the male passengers one Spaniard and five French, and there was a French lady of Bordeaux on board,—Madame Veuve Petit, with her two daughters.


The following horrifying statement, relative to the capture of a Portuguese slaver, is extracted from the log of Her Majesty's schooner Faun, cruising on the South American station, and written in latitude 22 30, lon. 40 W.:—

"On the 19th of February, 1841, Cacupus, on the coast of Brazil, about 18 miles, observed a large brig standing in for the land; altered our course so as to cut her off if possible. On approaching she appeared not to have the least idea of our being a man-of-war-allowed her to close within range of our long 32pounders-fired a gun over her, and another as quick as possible a-head. She then up with helm, attempted to run, but appeared in great confusion. We continued to throw the shot over a-head and astern of her, without intention of striking, as we were positive of slaves being on board. After a short time she was increasing her speed, Lieut. Foote then determined to put a shot into the hull, but with great regret, on account of the unfortunate beings on board. Shots were then thrown under her stern twice, a third was about to be fired, when we observed her round to. In about twenty minutes we came up and boarded her. The slaves were all below, with the hatches on; on turning them up, a scene presented itself enough to sicken the heart even of a Portuguese-the living, the dying, and the dead huddled together in one mass. Some unfortunates in the most disgusting state of small-pox, even in the confluent state, covered from head to foot; some distressingly ill with ophthalmia, a few perfectly blind; others, living skeletons, with difficulty crawled from below, unable to bear the weight of their own bodies; mothers with young infants hanging to their breasts, unable to give them a drop of nourishment. How they had brought them thus far appeared astonishing, all were perfectly naked, their limbs much excoriated from lying on the hard plank for so long a period. On going below, the stench was insupportable. How beings could breathe such an atmosphere and live, appeared incredible. Several were under the loose planks which were called the deck, dying— one dead. We proceeded to Rio Janeiro with the prize. On the passage we lost thirteen, in harbour twelve, from small-pox and debility; a number also died on board the receiving ship, the Crescent. After cleaning the hold and fumigating the brig, it was determined by Mr. Ousely, the British minister, to send the brig, with a part of her cargo, for adjudication, to the nearest colony, under the command of Mr. Johnstone, mate of the Faun. We sailed on the 19th of March, with 180, well provided with medicines, and directions in what manner to use them. Tapioca and lime-juice were also provided. Notwithstanding all the care that a small crew could bestow on them, we unfortunately lost twenty, chiefly from scurvy and general debility. This unfortunate brig left Bahia fort on the coast of Benguela, with 510 negroes, and thirteen days after her capture she had but 375,"

« 이전계속 »