« 이전계속 »
"All that is known with any degree of certainty concerning Shakspere is that he was born at Stratford-upon-Avon-married and had children there-went to London, where he commenced actor, and wrote poems and plays-returned to Stratford, made his will, died, and was buried."-STEEVENS.
"Along with that tombstone information, perhaps even without much of it, we could have liked to gain some answer, in one way or other, to this wide question : What and how was ENGLISH LIFE in Shakspere's time; wherein has ours grown to differ therefrom? In other words: What things have we to forget, what to fancy and remember, before we, from such distance, can put ourselves in Shakspere's place; and so, in the full sense of the term, understand him, his sayings, and his doings?"-CARLYLE.
1. Title-Various Portraits of Shakspere...
CONTENTS AND ILLUSTRATIONS
From Original Drawings by W. HARVEY; the Fac-similes and Autographs by F. W. FAIRHOLT.
15. John Shakspere's House in Henley Street.........
16. Inner Court of the Grammar School, Stratford
17. Interior of the Grammar School .......
5. Village of Wilmecote...
6. Church of Aston Cantlow
CHAPTER V.-THE SCHOOLBOY'S WORLD.
8. Fac-simile of autographs to Corporation Deed .....
12. Stratford Church, east end, with charnel-house
13. Room in the house in Henley Street..
32. Ruins of Kenilworth in the 17th Century