페이지 이미지

The following receipt, on file in Boston, is printed in the Record Commissioner's

Report, No. 25 : — - “BOSTON Sept. 18. 1781. “Received of the Selectmen of Boston four hundred & forty Shirts, 44o prEIose,

44o pr. Shoes — 220 Blankets on behalf of said Town, agreable to a Resolve of the

General Court passed June 22", 1781. EBENEzER BATTELLE, Agent.”

Jan. 1 o, 1786, Gens. Rufus Putnam and Benjamin Tupper issued a public notice in the Boston press, for the formation of “The Ohio Company,” and in that year Gen. Putnam made the first survey of lands northwest of the Ohio River. In November, 1787, he was appointed superintendent of the affairs of the Ohio Company, and active measures were taken for the settlement of these distant lands. In April, 1788, the westward movement began, when, under the direction of the Ohio Company, a party of forty emigrants, with their families, chiefly from Massachusetts, established the first permanent white settlement in Ohio. Col. Ebenezer Battelle (1786), a member of the Ohio Company, and family, were of this pioneer party, and were among the founders of Marietta in May, 1788. He died at Newport, Ohio, in 1815, at the home of his son Ebenezer. His remains were buried in the village churchyard, at Newport, where lie the remains of many of his descendants of three generations. Anna (Durant) Battelle was buried at sea.

William Bordman, Jr. (1786), merchant, of Boston, son of Capt. William Bordman (1758) and Susanna, his wife, was born May 1, 1760. He married, June 2, 1785, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Caleb Davis (1786). She died Dec. 14, 1790. In 1789, his store was on the north side of the market, and he lived on Sudbury Street; in 1796, he was in business on Merchants Row, and he lived on Hanover Street. He also was identified with the militia, and rose to the grade of captain in the Boston regiment in 1784. His brother, Thomas Stoddard Bordman, joined the Artillery Company in 1774.

Capt. Bordman (1786) became a member of the Massachusetts Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of Boston, Feb. 8, 1790.

Joseph Coffin Boyd (1786), merchant, of Boston, was captain of a company in the Boston regiment in 1791. He removed to Portland, where he became captain of a company of volunteers, and died in May, 1823, aged sixty-three years, while holding the office of treasurer of the State of Maine.

Mr. Boyd (1786) was admitted a member of Portland Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of Portland, Feb. 1 o, 1795, at the time of its reorganization. He was then elected secretary, and served until Jan. 20, 1802, when a memorandum on the records states “the secretary will be absent for awhile.” He was present, however, March 17, 1802, and very soon after sailed for France.

John Brazer (1786), shopkeeper, of Boston, son of Benjamin and Alice (Phillips) Brazer, was born in Charlestown, April 8, 1753. He married (published Sept. 20, 1774) Mary Grubb. In early life he learned the trade of ship carpentry, but after the Revolu

William Bordman, Jr. (1786). Authority: Boston Records.

John Brazer (1786). Authorities: Wyman's Charlestown Genealogies and Estates; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company; Early Masonic Records.

Mr. Whitman (1810), in his history of the

Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, gives this name as Ebenezer Brattle. It has occasioned great inconvenience and misunderstanding. In the original record book of the Artillery Company for 1786 may be seen the autographs of those persons who joined the Company that year, and among them is plainly written, “Ebenr Battelle.”

tion he kept store. From 1775 until the close of the war he resided in Cambridge; afterward in Boston. His place of business was, in 1789 at No. 3, and in 1796 at No. 1, Dock Square. He lived over the last-named store. He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1789, ensign in 1794, the third captain of the Independent Fusileers, serving in 1797–9, also in 1802–3, and was captain of the sublegion of light infantry in 18oo, 1804, and 1805. “He was an eccentric character, a violent partisan, wealthy, and a great patron of the drama.” He was the principal originator of the Second Universalist Church in Boston, which was incorporated Dec. 13, 1816, and held its first public meeting Jan. 25, 1817. In the latter year, a meeting house was erected by it in School Street, where the School Street Block now stands, nearly opposite City Hall Capt. Brazer (1786) was identified with the church until his decease, which occurred May 7, 1828, aged seventy-five years. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity. Jan. 8, 1784, he attended the constitution of King Solomon's Lodge, A. F. and A. M., at Charlestown, and June 2, 1791, he is given, in the return of officers of Rising States Lodge, as treasurer of that Lodge. His son-in-law, Lieut. Ezra Davis, joined the Artillery Company in 1801, and his grandson, John Brazer Davis, in 1821.

John Brooks (1786), physician, of Medford, son of Caleb and Ruth (Albree) Brooks, was born in Medford in May, 1752. He married, in 1774, Lucy Smith, of Reading, who died Sept. 26, 1791, aged thirty-eight years. He died March 1, 1825. They had three children, two of whom were boys, viz., Alexander S, born Oct. 19, 1781, who was killed by the explosion of a steamboat in 1836, and John, born May 20, 1783, who fell at the battle of Lake Erie, Sept. 1 o, 1813.

John Brooks (1786), son of a farmer, attended the town school, and such was his proficiency that Dr. Simon Tufts, a practitioner in Medford, took him, at the age of fourteen years, into his family, to educate him for the medical profession. He continued until he was twenty-one years old under the tuition of Dr. Tufts, showing meantime a a taste for military exercises, with a disposition remarkably gentle and attractive.

In 1772–3, he settled in the town of Reading, and began the practice of medicine. He was married soon after, and set out in life surrounded by flattering circumstances. Nevertheless he was quick to hear the mutterings of the approaching storm. A company of minute-men was raised in Reading, and he was chosen to command it. On the morning of the 19th of April, 1775, Rev. Mr. Foster asked Capt. Brooks (1786), “at sunrise,” if he were going to Concord, and when. “Immediately,” was the answer. He ordered out his company, proceeded to Concord, and, arriving there, met the British on their retreat. He hung on their rear and flanks, and followed them until their arrival at Charlestown. Col. Phinney says, the British, “a little to the eastward of the village, received a heavy fire from the Reading minute-men, under Capt. John Brooks [1786].” June 16, 1775, he was active during the night in throwing up entrenchments, and on the morrow he was absent from the battle, having been sent, on foot, — as a horse could not be had, – by Col. Prescott, to inform Gen. Ward of the expected movement, and the need of reinforcements. “The corps he commanded were distinguished during the whole war for the superiority of their discipline, evinced by their gallant conduct in

John Brooks (1786). AUTHORIries: Colum- and Mr. Usher; Memorials of the Mass. Society of bian Centinel, March 5, *i; Quarterly Review, the Cincinnati; Whitman's Hist. A. and II. A. ComVol. XIV., 1842; New Eng. Isist. and Gen. Reg., pany, Ed. 1842. 1865; Hists, of Medford, by Mr. Charles Brooks

battle, and by their regular movements in retreat. He was second only to the celebrated Baron Steuben in his knowledge of tactics. After this officer joined our army, and was appointed inspector-general, we find that Gen. Brooks [1786] was associated with him in the arduous duty of introducing a uniform system of exercise and manoeuvres into the army.” After the battle of Lexington, he was appointed major in a regiment of minute-men, and at the age of twenty-two, a field officer in the Continental line, and rose to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. At the close of the war he was discharged with the brevet commission of colonel. The regiment was first called “Jackson's Regiment,” after its colonel, and gained the camp name of the “Bloody Eighth, – the first in, and the last out, of battle.” This regiment took a distinguished part in the battle of Saratoga, and was then, and during most of the war, commanded by Col. Brooks (1786). On the surrender of Burgoyne, Col. Brooks (1786) joined the army under Gen. Washington, and suffered all the privations and hardships of Valley Forge. He was actively engaged in the battle of White Plains, and, in the memorable battle of Monmouth, he was adjutant-general of the advanced column of the army. At the termination of the war, Col. Brooks (1786) returned to private life, rich in honor and glory, and universally respected and loved. Col. Brooks (1786) was a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He was present at the quarterly communication of the Massachusetts Grand Lodge, at Freemason's Hall, in Boston, March 2, 1781, when he “laid before the Grand Lodge a List of the Officers and Members of Washington Lodge for this Year.” In that list Col. John Brooks (1786) is recorded as master. Washington Lodge was in the American army during the Revolution, and was, therefore, what is termed “a Travelling Lodge.” That Lodge was chartered Oct. 6, 1779, and Gen. William Hull (1788) was its first junior warden. It was borne upon the Grand Lodge roll until Dec. 8, 1785, when it was reported as extinct. In 1780, Col. Brooks (1786) delivered a Masonic oration at West Point, in the presence of Gen. Washington, who, with many officers of the army, were members of the Fraternity. Upon the organization of the militia, after the war, he was appointed major-general of the Middlesex Division, which office he held during ten years. He was the successor of Gen. Hull (1788) in the command of that division, a great number of the companies of which he assembled on Cambridge Common to be reviewed by the President of the United States in 1789. Gen. Washington, after passing the line, and observing their military conduct and appearance, made the complimentary remark to Gen. Brooks (1786), in allusion to our final success in the Revolutionary War, “Ah General, if we had had such troops as these, we should have made short work of it.” In the suppression of Shays' Rebellion he was actively engaged. During the War of 1812–4, Gen. Brooks (1786) sustained the arduous and important office of adjutant-general of Massachusetts, which office he held until 1816, when he was elected governor of Massachusetts. Seven years, successively, he filled this honorable office with dignity, impartiality, and energy, at the end of which time he voluntarily declined another term. Soon after his return from the Revolutionary War, he recommenced the practice of medicine in Medford and the adjoining towns. He became interested in the Massachusetts Medical Society in the year 1803, when he was elected counsellor, and in 1808 he delivered an anniversary discourse before that society. After his service as governor of this commonwealth, he was elected president of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He was also a representative, senator, councillor, and elector of president and vice-president. He was a delegate to the convention which framed and adopted the federal constitution of Massachusetts. He was appointed, by Washington, marshal for this district, and subsequently was inspector of revenue. Yale College conferred upon him the honorary degree of A. M., in 1781, and Harvard did likewise in 1787. The latter also conferred upon him the degree of M. D., in 181 o, and of LL.D. in 1817. He was prominent in the Society of the Cincinnati, was elected to deliver the first oration before it, July 4, 1787, and on the death of its first president, Gen. Lincoln (1786), Gen. Brooks (1786) was elected to that highly honorable office. He was also a member of the Academy of Arts and Sciences, president of the Washington Monument Association, of the Bunker Hill Monument Association, and of the Bible Society of Massachusetts. Major-Gen. Brooks (1786) was the first member admitted into the Artillery Company after its revival in 1786, and he was twice elected as commander, namely, in 1787 and 1794. In the language of Rev. Mr. Deane, in his Artillery sermon in 1816, the first public appearance of Gen. Brooks (1786) as governor : “Here we behold the wise and virtuous ruler in the midst of his subjects; like the father of a family, inspiring love and respect by his presence, deriving the strength of his government from his sacred regard to their happiness, and receiving from them the homage of the heart, and not of compulsion.” His final illness was neither long nor painful. He probably caught a severe cold while attending the funeral of his successor, Gov. Eustis, whom he survived but a few days. He bore his illness calmly, and said, “My case is beyond physicians. I have received my orders: I am ready to march.” He died at Medford, March 1, 1825, aged seventy-three years, and was buried March 3. Medford appeared clad in mourning; all business was suspended ; the shops were closed. His body was carried into the meetinghouse, which was filled by his townsfolk, of all ages and both sexes, with strangers of distinction. Above ninety members of the Artillery Company, in citizens' dress, under command of Col. Gibbens (1810), attended the funeral. In Gov. Brooks's (1786) family are several commemorative swords. One, called the “straight, gilt, scabbard sword,” has the following inscription : — “To His Excellency John Brooks, commander in chief of the Militia of Massachusetts, and twice Commander of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company: This sword is most respectfully presented by that ancient corps, in full confidence that it will be wielded with glory and success in war, and be preserved untarnished in peace.” On the other side is the following : — “Presented on the field, in Boston, June 2, 1817, and on the 180th Anniversary of the Institution.” The sword worn by Col. Brooks (1786) in the battle at Saratoga, Oct. 7, 1777, has been presented by A. S. Rawson, Esq., to the Massachusetts Historical Society. The sword carried by Col. Alexander S. Brooks, through the War of 1812–4, is preserved. The one he wore at the time of his death was captured by his father from a Hessian officer in one of the battles of the Revolution. Another sword, belonging to Col. Alexander S. Brooks, was given to his son George by his mother. George Brooks was a lieutenant in the Second Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, in 1862, at Newbern, N. C. John, the son of Gov. Brooks (1786), had a “long, curved sabre" presented to him by Lafayette, in Paris. It had a rich sash attached to it. This sabre and sash were on his person when killed in the naval battle on Lake Erie.

The granite pyramid which stands in the old burial-ground in Medford bears the following inscription : —

“Sacred to the memory of John Brooks [1786], who was born in Medford, in the month of May, 1752, and educated at the town school. He took up arms for his country on the 19th of April, 1775. He commanded the regiment which first entered the enemies' lines at Saratoga, and served with honor to the end of the war. He was appointed Marshal of the District of Massachusetts by President Washington; and, after filling several important civil and military offices, he was, in the year 1816, chosen Governor of the Commonwealth, and discharged the duties of that station for seven successive years to general acceptance. He was a kind and skilful physician; a brave and prudent officer; a wise, firm, and impartial magistrate; a true patriot, a good citizen, and a faithful friend. In his manner he was a gentlemen; in morals, pure; and in profession and practice, a consistent Christian. He departed this life in peace, on the 1st of March, 1825, aged seventy-three. This monument to his memory was erected by several of his fellow-citizens and friends, in the year 1838.”

William Brown (1786), merchant, of Boston, son of William and Mary Brown, was born in Boston, Oct. 26, 1763. He resided at the famous “Green Stores,” once a place of extensive business. They stood on the site of the Williams Market. “In July, 1775, when the siege had fairly begun, the work nearest the town mounted eight twenty-four-, six twelve-, two nine-, and seven six-pound guns, and was called during the siege, “The Green Store Battery,’ from the warehouse of Deacon Brown [1786], painted that color, which stood on the site of the Williams Market.” Lieut. Brown (1786) was a member of Hollis Street Church, and held the office of deacon. He was representative for Boston in the General Court, also a senator. “A man of common education but of strong mind; popular and much respected. Although not a frequent or elegant speaker, yet his mild manner and perfect knowledge of human nature rendered him a powerful legislator. He long prevented the erection of the South Boston Free Bridge, while his ingenuity circumvented his adversaries, and obtained the bridge above, near his own property, and originated the building of Front Street” in 1806–7, which, in 1841, was called Harrison Avenue in honor of Gen.


Thomas Clark (1786), merchant, of Boston, son of Rev. Jonas Clark, of Lexington, who delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1768, was born in Lexington, Sept. 27, 1759. He married, in 1782, Sarah Conant, of Charlestown. She died April 16, 1822. Mr. Whitman (1810) says, in his history of the Artillery Company, “The first time Capt. Clark put on a military coat was to join with the Cadets in firing a salute on the news of the surrender of Burgoyne's army.” His store, in 1789, was No. 22 Cornhill, now Washington Street. The Cadets disbanded on the discharge of Col. John Hancock by Gov. Gage, in 1774. Subsequently, a new company of volunteers was raised; Col. Henry Jackson was captain; Benjamin Hichborn, lieutenant, and Perez Morton, ensign. It was called the “Independent Company,” and went to Newport, R.I., on public service. Capt. Clark William Brown (1786). Authorities: Whit. Genealogy; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Com

man's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842; pany, Ed. 1842; Boston Records. Drake's Old Landmarks of Boston. 'Clark Genealogy gives July 6, 1758, as the

Thomas Clark (1786). AUTHORITIES: Clark date.

« 이전계속 »