페이지 이미지

principle of subordination, which is the beauty and the strength and the pride of our militia system. To make this principle striking, they appear in the uniform of their several commissions. To make their exercises useful, they will practice themselves in the formations, manoeuvres, and ceremonies prescribed by the rules and regulations which have lately been established by Congress for their government. But as these are founded in principles entirely different from those which have been our guide, we have almost everything to learn not only, but we have much to unlearn. Before we plant the young orchard we must root out the stumps of old prejudices; and even after all that is done, the trees must have time to grow. Your Excellency will not, therefore, expect our progress to be very rapid. The trees will be planted in a rich soil, however, and, if they are properly cultivated, will produce thrifty Scions, to engraft into all the regiments, brigades, and divisions in the State. To carry into effect the enlarged views of the Company, their command, with greater propriety, should have been committed to a more practical officer. But as his protestations against the selection they have made were unavailing, his efforts to promote their views shall be unceasing. With what success they shall be attended, by the appearance of the Company at their next anniversary, your Excellency will determine. Coming from the ranks of a Company filled with officers from the highest to the lowest grade, clothed in the uniform of their respective corps, whose splendid appearance and military deportment have so forcibly illustrated the great design of its founder, I should indulge myself in the expression of the enthusiasm which I feel, were I not oppressed with a sense of the weight of that responsibility which devolves upon me. Fear, as well as hope, is now made a high incentive to my exertions. In the exercise of my powers, that I may not fulfil the just expectations of the Company — this is my fear. When I shall resign my authority, that I may receive your approbation of my services — this is my hope. That I shall receive it if it be deserved — this is my confidence.” A business meeting of the Artillery Company was held June 25. The death of Silas Dodd (1816) was announced by Capt. James N. Staples (1816), and the Company voted to wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days. Mr. Joshua Hardy, of Boston, had for many years been employed by the Company as a drummer. He had become old in its service and was in indigent circumstances, whereupon the Company voted a gratuity to relieve his distress. The Company met July 23 and 30 for business. At the latter meeting it was determined to purchase one hundred body-belts, of white varnished leather, for the use of the Company. In the summer of 1821 the corps of National Cadets visited Boston. They left West Point on Friday, July 20, and proceeded in two steamboats to Albany, thence they marched leisurely to Boston, arriving in the forenoon of Aug. 7. Their camp the night of the 6th was on the estate of Gen. H. A. S. Dearborn (1816), in Roxbury, on rising ground near the house. The Cadets were introduced to the field by the Norfolk Guards, under Capt. Doggett (1821). Toward evening they partook of the general's hospitality at a sumptuous repast, prepared under a large marquee on his grounds. Tuesday morning, Aug. 7, the Cadets halted at “the southern barrier of the town, on the Neck.” Here they were met by the selectmen of Boston, who welcomed them to the town, while the Ancient and Honorable Artillery, and the Boston artillery under Capt. Lobdell (1821), were firing salutes. The corps encamped upon the Common. A


collation was served to them Tuesday afternoon, in Concert Hall; Wednesday they were feasted in “The Odeon,” and later a magnificent entertainment was given in honor of the Cadets by the military of Boston in Faneuil Hall. They also marched to Quincy, and had breakfast with John Adams. Aug. 10 they visited Cambridge, and on Saturday, Aug. 11, they were presented with a stand of colors by the selectmen in behalf of the town. The Cadets started on their return march Saturday, Aug. 18. In all the exercises on this interesting occasion, — in the welcome, in the profusion of hospitality, in the escorts, entertainments, and salutes, – members of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company were active and prominent. Meetings for drill and business were held Aug. 6, 13, 20, 27, and 31. On the latter occasion, Friday afternoon, the Company marched in citizen's dress to the Common and held a drill. Sept. 3, being their first fall field-day in 1821, the Company paraded in full uniform, under command of Gen. William H. Sumner (1819), and proceeded to South Boston, where, although it was raining, the Company went through with their drill and firings. On returning to the Hall, the usual collation was provided. The Company met for drill and business Sept. Io. For years the Artillery Company and other military organizations in Boston had experienced great difficulty in procuring music. The band in Boston — probably the “Green Dragon,” so called — was inclined to be exorbitant in its charges, and could not always be procured when its services were desired. These circumstances caused the Artillery Company to procure, when possible, the services of the United States band stationed at the fort in Boston Harbor. In 1821 the trouble became so aggravating that Gen. William Sullivan (1819) conceived the idea of forming a new band in Boston, to be at the disposal of the Boston Brigade of Infantry, and certain specified military companies. Major Stephen Fairbanks (1820) presented to the Artillery Company, Sept. 10, the following agreement between Brig.-Gen. William Sullivan (1819), of the Third Brigade, First Division, in behalf of the brigade, Independent Cadets, and Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company on the one part, and of the signers to the same instrument as musicians on the other part, for a new band of music. This agreement was unanimously accepted by the Artillery Company. “AGREEMENT. —This agreement made this tenth day of September 1821, between William Sullivan [1819] of Boston Esquire, as he is the commandant of the third Brigade in the first Division of Mass Militia on the one part and on the second, or the other part, Witnesseth — “That they of the second part have been duly enlisted as members of the Band of Musick for the third Brigade and have received warrants accordingly: and are holden to military law and usage accordingly. But for the better understanding of rights and duties and for the preventing of all disagreement, it is hereby expressly agreed: first, That they of the second part [each one in all things here expressed engaging only for himself and not for each other] shall forthwith provide themselves with suitable Musical instruments, and with a proper uniform, at his own expense, and will keep himself so provided and equipped. Second, that they of the second part will appear at all times during the continuance of their membership of this Band, whenever the Brigade shall be called out and perform the duty of a Band of Musick in a faithful, obedient and proper manner, without any compensation. Third, that they of the second part, will turn out properly provided and uniformed, to perform in a faithful, obedient and proper manner, for any Military Company within the town of Boston whenever requested so to do, as a Band of Musick, and will do their duty for the compensation of four dollars to each member of the Band, who turns out, and so performs, for one day: and for the further compensation of being provided with seasonable dinner, liquors and refreshment, when the Company employing them dine together, and their attendance is requested : Provided, however, that if the members of the Band prefer to withdraw and dine at their own expense, they may do so; and in such case, shall receive five dollars instead of four dollars; but shall return in due time if their services are wanted. Fourth, that they of the second part will so turn out and perform for any space of time, not exceeding half a day, for any Military Company in Boston, when requested, for the compensation of three dollars to each member of the Band, who turns out and performs. Fifth, They of the second part further agree that if any [each one herein agreeing for himself and not for each other] shall on any occasion fail to perform in manner aforesaid, his payment for the time being shall be stopped, and he shall moreover be liable to immediate dismissal from the Band, and to enrollment in the Militia, if liable to do duty therein. Sixth, And the said William Sullivan [1819], Brigadier General of said Brigade, for himself and his successors in office, and in behalf of the Military Companies, within the town of Boston, hereby agrees with the individuals composing the second party in this agreement; That so long as they of the second part keep themselves provided with Musical instruments, and with an uniform, and so long as they turn out and perform as a Band of Musick, in the manner herein before stated, they shall receive the compensation herein before set forth ; and that no other Band of Musick shall be used, employed or permitted to play for the said Brigade or for any Military Company in the town of Boston, unless it so happens that two or more companies parade on the same day, and more than one Band of Musick is necessary. And it is expressly understood, that this agreement is to extend to the Independent Company of Cadets and to the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company. It is further agreed that the evidence of this agreement by the several companies in the town of Boston, shall be a recorded vote of the Company, that the same is by such Company adopted. And they of the second part shall hold themselves bound and engaged to every Company to turn out and perform, which shall so accept this agreement. It is further agreed between the parties that in case of any breach of the terms of this agreement, [complaint] in writing, signed by the complainant, shall be forthwith made to the commandant for the time being, of the Brigade. In witness whereof the parties have hereunto set their names the day and year first above said. WM SULLIVAN [1819], Brig. Gen 3 B. 1 D.”

The names of the party of the second part are not known. This agreement gave birth to the Boston Brigade Band, of which, at its organization in 1821, a Mr. Fillebrown was the leader. It continued its organization until 1835, when it united with the “Green Dragon” Band and formed the Boston Brass Band, with Mr. Edward Kendall as leader. The band grew in proficiency, and became quite celebrated. It existed until 1861, when it was dissolved by Mr. Eben Flagg.

Sept. 17, Monday evening, the Company met for drill, under command of the lieutenant, Lieut.-Col. Theodore Lyman, Jr. (1820).

Oct. 1, the day being very disagreeable, the order to meet on that day was countermanded, and the Company met Friday, Oct. 5, at three o'clock P. M. After the business had been transacted the Company marched to the Common, went through their firings and manoeuvres, and returned to the Hall, where a collation was served.

Meetings of the Company were frequently held during November and December, the last one for the year being on the evening of the 31st of December. Peter Mackintosh, Jr. (1820), made an exhaustive report in regard to the reduction of the admission fee.

The history of the Company during 1821 shows its unparalleled prosperity. Its active membership had never before been so large, meetings for drill and business never so frequent, nor the “school for officers” ever more united and progressive.

Rev. Edward Everett (1836), of Boston, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1821. He was a son of Oliver and Lucy (Hill) Everett, and was born in Dorchester, April 11, 1794. He attended first, the public schools of his native town, and subsequently those of Boston. On his graduation at the school in North Bennet Street, Boston, he received a Franklin medal. After attending for a short time a private school in Boston, he entered the public Latin School, graduating therefrom in 1805. He remained for a few months in 1807 at the Exeter (N.H.) Academy, and graduated from Harvard College in 1811. The following year he was appointed Latin tutor in the college. It was his intention to study law, but through the influence of the pastor of the church which his parents attended, he studied divinity while officiating as tutor. In 1813 he became pastor of the Brattle Street Church, in Boston. During his ministry the popularity of Mr. Everett (1836) was unbounded. In 1815 Mr. Everett (1836) was appointed professor of Greek literature in Harvard College, which station he occupied until 1826. Shortly after his induction into this office he visited Europe, having as a fellow-traveller for much of his journeying Gen. Theodore Lyman (1820). For two years he resided at Göttingen, employed in those branches of study appropriate to his new sphere. Afterward he continued his travels through Europe, and returned to the United States after an absence of four years. He then resumed the duties of his professorship at Cambridge, and also was engaged in the editorial care of the North American Review. May 8, 1822, Mr. Everett (1836) married Charlotte Gray, a daughter of Peter C. Brooks, of Boston. In 1824 Mr. Everett (1836) became a candidate for the National House of Representatives, to which he was elected, and took his seat therein in December, 1825. Ten years later he withdrew from the councils of the nation, being chosen in 1835 governor of the State of Massachusetts. He served in this position for four years, being succeeded in 1840 by Gov. Marcus Morton (1840).

Mr. Everett (1836) embarked for Europe in 1840. At a jubilee dinner prior to his departure, Hon. Judge Story gave as a sentiment, “Learning, genius, and eloquence are sure to be welcome where Ever-ett goes”; on which Mr. Everett (1836) promptly gave, “Law, Equity, and Jurisprudence: all their efforts to rise will never be able to get above one Story.” While Mr. Everett (1836) was in Italy in 1841, the minister at the Court of St. James having been recalled, Mr. Everett (1836) was appointed his successor, where he remained until the accession of President Polk. He arrived in London to enter upon the duties of his mission at the close of the year 1841. Mr. Everett (1836), after a very creditable career as minister to Great Britain, returned to

Rev. Edward Everett (1836). Authorities: II undred Boston Orators; address by Richard H. Proceedings Mass. Hist. Society, 1864, 1865, pp. Dana, Jr., Feb. 22, 1865, at Cambridge, on the 1oi-17o; 1869, 1870, p. 107; Everett Memorial, “Life and Services of Edward Everett.” published by the city of Boston; Loring's One

Boston in the autumn of 1845. President Quincy having resigned the care of Harvard University, Mr. Everett (1836) was requested to accept the vacant presidency. He was inaugurated in this important station April 30, 1846, when Hon. Robert C. Winthrop (1830) gave this sentiment at a public dinner: “This occasion, which witnesses the consecration of the highest genius of our country to its noblest service.” President Everett (1836) continued closely devoted to the interests of Harvard College until he was compelled by the state of his health to resign that office, and was succeeded by Jared Sparks, June 20, 1849. In 1852 Hon. Daniel Webster came home sick to Marshfield and died. A telegraphic despatch summoned Mr. Everett (1836) to Washington to take charge of the department of state. Business had accumulated during Mr. Webster's illness, but Mr. Everett (1836) applied himself to his work with his usual method and laboriousness. On the election of Mr. Pierce to the presidency, and his inauguration, March 4, 1853, Mr. Everett's (1836) service as secretary of state ended, but on that day he became a member of the Senate of the United States, to which he had been elected by the Legislature of Massachusetts. The final consideration of the Kansas Nebraska Bill, and the refusal of the Senate to allow him to record his vote against it, ended his official public life, for in May, 1853, “by advice of his physicians, and unwilling to perform imperfectly the duties of such a position,” he resigned his seat. Notwithstanding the condition of his health, he prepared a discourse upon the character of Washington, to be delivered throughout the country, in aid of the purchase of Mount Vernon. He spoke it in all parts of the country, -one hundred and twentynine times, – obtaining by the sale of tickets about fifty thousand dollars in aid of the fund. In 1860 he accepted the nomination of vice-president from a party organized upon a principle of compromise between the Republicans and the Democrats. At length the war began by the slave power in rebellion, and Mr. Everett (1836) threw the weight of his character, influence, and powers into the scale for the national life. He enlisted, not waiting for conscription or bounty, in the only arm of the service for which his years fitted him. “I am an old man,” he said; “there is nothing of me left with which I can serve my country except my lips.” Sixty times in thirty weeks he delivered his address upon the character of the war, which was first spoken in Boston, Oct. 16, 1861. He answered to every call of benevolence and patriotism. “The Cradle of Liberty” received his last public utterance, in behalf of the sufferers at Savannah, Ga. Mr. Everett (1836) died Jan. 15, 1865. A statue to the memory of Mr. Everett (1836) stands in the Public Gardens, Boston. It was erected by a public subscription in 1865, and the purpose was so popular that, with the surplus, after the statue was paid for, a portrait of Mr. Everett (1836) was placed in Faneuil Hall, five thousand dollars were given to the equestrian statue of George Washington, and ten thousand to the Gov. Andrew statue fund. Oct. 3, 1836, the Artillery Company returned to the armory, after the field-day parade, at six o'clock P. M. Having deposited their arms, on motion of Col. Bigelow (1833), his Excellency Edward Everett was unanimously admitted an honorary member of the Company.

« 이전계속 »