« 이전계속 »
Miles; from thence to Cacapehon 12, and 18 afterwards, in all 38 Miles, the last 18 I do not think long ones.
Thursday 29th. Set out early and reachd my Brothers by one oclock (about 22 or 3 Miles). Doctr. Craik having Business by Winchester went that way to meet at Snicker's to morrow by 10 Oclock.
Friday 30th. According to Appointment the Doctr. and I met, and after Breakfasting at Snickers proceeded on to Wests where we arrivd at or about Sunset.
Where & how my time is Spent.
1. Went up the Great Kanhawa abt. 10 Miles with the People that were with me.
2. Hunting the most part of the day, the Canoe went up abt. 15 Miles further.
3. Returnd down the River again and Incampd at the Mouth.
4. Proceeded up the Ohio on our return to Fort Pitt. Incampd abt. 9 Miles below the rapid at the grt. Bent.
5. Walk'd across a Neck of Land to the Rapid and Incampd about Miles above it.
6. In about 5 Miles we came to Kiashutas Camp and there Halted.
7. Reachd the Mouth of Hockhocking, distant abt. 20 Miles.
ITINERARY ON THE OHIO
8. Came within a Mile of the Mouth of Muskingham, 27 Miles.
9. Got to the 3 Islands in the 2d long reach about 17 Miles.
10. Arrivd at the lower end of the long reach abt. 12 Miles, not setting of till 12 Oclock.
II. Came about 16 Miles after hard working the greatest part of the day.
12. Only got about 5 Miles, the Currt. being very strong against us.
13. Reachd the uppermost broken Timber Creek distant about 7 Miles, contending with a violent Currt. the whole day.
14. Came to the Captening or Fox Grape Vine Creek distant about 10 Miles.
15. Reachd Weeling (on the West) where there had been an Indian Town and where some of the Shawnas are going to settle in the Spring, distant from our Incampment 12 Miles.
16. Got within 13 Miles of the lower cross Creeks, 13 Miles.
17. Reachd the Mingo Town about 13 Miles more.
18. At this place all day waiting for Horses which did not arrive.
19. At the same place, and in the same situation as yesterday.
20. Our Horses arriving about One Oclock, at 2 we set out for Fort Pitt and got about 10 Miles.
21. Reachd Fort Pitt in the afternoon and lodgd at Semples.
22. Invited the Officers of the Fort and other Gentlemen to dine with me at Samples.
23. Left Fort Pitt and reachd Mr. John Stephensons.
24. Got to Captn. Crawford's. The Rivr. Yaughyaughgane being very high.
25. Reachd Hoglands at the great crossing.
26. Came to Killam's on George's Creek.
27. Got to the Old Town to Colo. Cresap's, distant from Killam's about 25 Miles.
28. Reachd Jasper Rinker's about 38 Miles from Cresap's and 30 from Cox's, not long ones.
29. Came to my Brother's (distant about 25 Miles) to Dinner.
30. Reachd Charles West's 35 Miles from my
Where & how my time is Spent.
1st. Reachd home from [Charles] West's, after an absence of 9 Weeks and one Day.
Rid to the Mill in the forenoon, and returnd to Dinner.
4. Rid by Posey's to the Mill, and to the Ditchers. Mr. Boucher and Jacky Custis came here in the Afternoon.
5. Mr. Boucher went away again to Maryland. I rid to the Mill.
6. Rid by Muddy hole and Doeg Run to the Mill, and returnd by Posey's.
7. Rid to the Mill and returnd to Dinner.
8. Went a hunting but found nothing. From the Woods I went to my Mill and so home to Dinner. Doctr. Ross Dind here and went away afterwd.
9. Went to Pohick Church and returnd to Dinner.
Went up the little Falls to Balendine's Sale. Returnd in the Evening.
II. Rid to my Mill and Ditchers before Dinner.
12. At home all day. Mr. Semple Dined here, and went away afterwards. Doctr. Rumney came in the Afternoon and stayd all Night.
13. Doctr. Rumney went away after breakfast, and the two Mrs. Fairfax's' and Miss Nelly Marbray din'd here.
14. Mr. B. Fairfax and Miss Marbray went away after Breakfast and Mr. Peake dind here.
Mrs. Bryan (Elizabeth Cary) Fairfax and Mrs. George William (Sarah Cary) Fairfax.
15. I rid to the Mill and Ditchers by Posey's.
16. Dined at Belvoir with Jacky Custis and returnd afterwards.
17. Jacky Custis went to Annapolis and I to Court. Returnd in the Afternoon.
18. Rid to my Mill and to the Ditchers in the Fore and Afternoon.
19. Went to Colchester on an Arbitration between [Allan] McCrae's Exrs. and John Graham.' No business done.
20. Returnd home.
21. Rid to the Mill in the fore and Afternoon.
22. Rid to the Mill and Mill Race in the fore and after
23. Rid to the Mill before Dinner; at home afterwards alone.
24. Rid to the Mill again in the fore and afternoon.
25. Went to Pohick Church and returnd to Dinner.
26. At Home all day alone.
27. Went a fox Hunting and kill'd a fox in Company with the two Mr. Triplet's and Mr. Peake, who dined here.
28. At the Mill in the Forenoon and afternoon.
29. Went fox hunting in Company with the two Mr. A merchant, of Colchester, Virginia.