페이지 이미지

under cover of the darkness, leaving a few men in the fort to keep up an occasional fire so as to prevent a premature discovery of the evacuation. On the morning of the 9th, at an early hour, the British troops marched in, and took possession of the place. This achievement, accomplished by the first impression of British bravery in the attack of the town, was justly regarded as of beneficial importance, not only in the dislodgment of the banditti, and the occupation of their land, but by the terror of the invincible prowess of the British arms, which the fugitives would spread far and wide amidst the yet violent and untamed tribes of Guzerat. The loss sustained by the captors was numerically small ; but it is painful to include in it captain M'Kenzie, the brave leader of the storming party, and captain Wilkinson, who, having passed unhurt through all the dangers of the assault, dropped down overpowered by exertion and fatigue under the oppression of a sultry day. In order to pursue these depredators into their most remote fortresses, and to destroy their fleet and stores, another expedition was dispatched at a later period of the year into the Gulph. The naval force employed on this occasion was commanded by captain Wainwright of the Chiffonné frigate, and consisted of that ship, and the Caroline, captain Gordon, Vestal, and Strombolo bomb, with some cruizers and transports. The land forces under lieutenant-colonel Smith, were his majesty's 65th regiment, and a detachment of the 84th attached to it, and a party of the company's artillery. A battalion of marines was added on the landing. On the 15th September the Strombolo foundered, and two officers and fourteen men unfortunately went down in her. The Caroline, which had been dispatched to collect the boats that were to be furnished by the Imaun of Maskat, as wel as other means of assistance, not having returned at the expected time to the appointed rendezvous, off the Bombareck rock, it became necessary for the Caroline to proceed with the whole

of the expedition to Maskat where the Caroline and transports anchored on the 23d of October, and were joined by the cruizers which had been sent off to complete their water at convenient stations. The Caroline joined two days after. But the Vesta! had been sent to the Euphrates to give convoy to some valuable vessels thence to Maskat. This was a serious diminution of the strength of the expedition, inasmuch as the Vestal had on board her twenty-two artillery men, being the whole, with the exception of eight of the remaining force of that description, attached to the expedition. On a conference with the Imaun of Maskat, he declined giving any assistance but boats and pilots, under an impression that the force sent on the expedition was inadequate to the object, and particularly to the landing for the destruction of the piratical navy, which could not, in his opinion, be effected by less than 10,000 men; the Bedouin Arabs, to the number of 20,000, being at hand to assist the pirates. Neither this representation, nor the caution of the Imaun in withholding active aid, could alter the determination of the commanders to proceed to the execution of the objects given in charge to them. On the 11th November, the expedition arrived without any accident off Rus-ul-Kima, the port and arsenal of the pirates. The British ship Minerva, mentioned as having been taken by the pirates, was at an anchor in the harbour, manned and armed, to take an active part in the defence of the place. When the expedition had come to anchor, the Minerva was run on the beach, where she was converted into a fixed battery, flanked by a nine-pounder, and supported by the people from the town, armed with matchlocks. After receiving two or three broadsides, however, the unfortunate vessel was deserted by the Arabs, and set on fire before the boats sent to take possession of her got near. She was completely burnt in a few hours. Some little loss was sustained during this service, by the vessel employed to go in and fire on the Mi

nerva (the Prince of Wales.) The next day, the 12th, was employed in making preparations for the landing. On the i5th, at day-break the attack was commenced, by the marine battalion, at one end of the town, to attract the fire of the enemy; while colonel Smith, with the Europeans, landed at the other end. The troops effected their landing under a smart fire from the trenches along the shore; but as soon as they got footing, the pirates retired into the town, and took their stations in concealed places, and on the tops of houses, whence they kept up a galling fire, but without doing much execution. The assault was, however, conducted with such vigour, that by noon the enemy were driven quite out of the town, and the union flag flying over it. All their guns were spiked, their magazines blown up, and their flotilla, consisting of about seventy vessels, large and small, on fire. The place contained considerable stores of coffee and dates: but the object of the expedition being accomplished in the destruction of the fleet, fortifications, guns, and ammunition, colonel Sinith considered it a duty to disregard all mattersof prize and emolument, and to reembark the men before night, so as to secure them from any accident that might arise from straggling in search of pl nder, amidst an enraged population, and along a shore covered with burning ships. The re-embarkation was effected without loss, and the only casualty sustained in the whole service was the single death of captain Dance, of the 65th regiment. The enemy had from 150 to 200 killed, in the occupation of burying whom they were seen the next morning, with every sign of distraction and desolation, amidst the burning vessels, and the annihilation of all their means of further plunder. Notwithstanding the haste of the reembarkation, and the precautions against straggling used by colonel Smith, several soldiers contrived to pick up, some valuables; and one private of one of h regiment was said to have sovni 400 gold mohurs. Several charts, quadrants, and books, were found, havtug in them the name of the unfortu

nate captain Hopwood of the Minerva. Mrs. Taylor, one of the ladies taken in that ship, had sailed for Bushire the day before the expedition appeared in sight. After this signal success the expedition proceeded to extirpate the pirates from their minor settlements, and with such success that they have not since been able to renew their depredations. Their chief very narrowly escaped from Rus-ul-Khima by flying on horseback when the place was first possessed. The other expedition, which comes under the Bombay head of this register, was directed against a more respectable enemy, and was designed partly to capture some of the enemy's ships, and destroy his naval stores and arsenals, and partly as an experiment, with a view to ascertain the practicability, and facilitate the objects of landing a sufficient force at a future period on the Isles of France and Bourbon, so as to reduce those settlements u der the British government, as has since been happily effected. The town batteries, forts, and shipping, of St. Paul's, in the Isle of Bourbon, were the in mediate objects of the attack. For this purpose the troops, consisting of 308 officers and men, were embarked on the 16th September, from Fort Duncan, in the little island of Rodriguez, some time previously occupied, on board his majesty's ships Nereide and Otter, and company's cruizer Wasp. This force formed a junction on the 18th, off Port Louis, in the Isle of France, with his majesty's ships the Raisonable, commodore Rowley, and Sirius, captain Pym. On the morning of the 19th, the troops, with the seamen destitled for the attack, amounting to 604, were sent on board the Nereide, and towards the evening the squadron stood for the Isle of Bourbon. On the morning of the 20th, the squadron being off the east-end of that island, the plan of attack, with accompanying instructions, was communicated to the otheers entrusted with the charge of columns by the commander of the forces. At five o'clock, A. M. a laiding was effected a little to the southward, of Point Galotte, seven miles from St. Paul's, by a rapid march : a causeway that crosses the lake between the point and the town, and affords the best means of defence, was seized before the approach or landing was discovered. Having gained the strongest defence the assailants made themselves easy masters of the first and second batteries, Lamboucheu and La Centier, which were in our possession by seven o'clock. Captain Willoughby, of the royal navy, who took possession of them with a detachment of about 100 seamen, employed to aid the troops on shore, immediately turned the guns upon the enemy's shipping, from which the troops had been much annoyed in their advance, by a welldirected fire, principally of grape-shot. A third battery, called La-Neuf, was next to be attacked, and this service was undertaken by the second column under captain Imlack, consisting of 142 men of the second battalion, 2d regiment of Bombay Native infantry, and twelve Europeans. In his march from La Centier to this attack, captain Imlack fell in with the whole of the enemy's force, strongly posted behind stone waiis, with eight six pounders upon their flanks. Captain Inlack did not hesitate a moment to charge the enemy in this strong position ; the charge was executed in the most galiant manner, but still the enemy maintained their position. Captain Hanna, of the 50th regiment, was ordered with the third column to support captain Imlack. Captain Hanna again charged the eneny and took two of his guns. The action, however, became warm and general, but the event was never doubtful. The enemy, however, drew all the aid they could from their other posts and from their ships, withdrawing above 100 troops of the line from La Caroline. It was now judged proper to spike the guns of the two first batteries, Lamboucheu and La Centier, and to cause the third, La Neuf, to be occupied by the seamen. By this ma nceuvre a considerable additional force was rendered disposable in action ; and, on its beingbrought up,the enemy after

a gallant resistance, were compelled to give way, leaving the rest of their guns in possession of captain Forbes and the reserve. The fourth and fifth batteries, La Pierre and La Caserre, were then carried and their fire turned on the ene my's shipping. By half-past eight o'clock, the town, with all the batteries, magazines, eight brass field pieces, one hundred and seventeen men, and heavy iron guns of different calibres, and all the public stores, were in our possession. As soon as the ships of the squadron observed that the firing had ceased, and that the British forces were triumphant, they stood in, led by the Sirius, captain Pym, and opened their fire upon the enemy's ships, which they could not venture to attack before, lest their shot should annoy the British troops who were within range. The vigour of their attack now soon overpowered resistance, and the enemy's frigate La Caroline struck. The company's ships Europa and Streatham, previously captured by the enemy, were also taken on this occasion. The defences being destroyed, and the town being com. pletely commanded by the ships, it was judged right to re-embark the troops, which was accordingly carried into execution by eight o'clock in the evening. But on the following day, the

enemy having appeared in force upon

the hills, while a heavy column was observed advancing from St. Denys, under the command of Des Bruly, the governor, it was thought right immediately to land a sufficient force to destroy all public property. The marines and some seamen were accordingly sent on shore, and performed this service without delay. The next morning the troops were again put into the boats to land, and receive the enemy's attack, but it was found that they had retired in the night. Mr. St. Michel, the commander of the place, entered into an arrangement to deliver up all remaining public property, which was quietly embarked on board the Streathau, and Furopa, which ships were replaced under their former commanders, till then kept prisoners in the island. The interval from the 25th to the 28th

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

September, was employed in shipping these stores, and completing the work of military destruction. The convention agreed upon for the purpose was strictly observed by Mr. St. Michel, with whom the business entirely rested, in consequence of the death of his superior, General Des Brulys, by a pistol-shot from his own hand. The reason assigned for this rash act was an unwillingness to be responsible for measures which he was not allowed to direct, and which he could not controul. He recommended his wife and children to the humanity of his survivors. The expedition having thus ably and successfully accomplished its objects,the squadron returned with the forces, and the captured and recaptured ships, to Rodriguez. The governor of Bombay in council paid a just tribute of public thanks to the conduct and gallantry of

the commander, and of the subordi

nate officers, troops, and seamen employed. These military achievements have been, in every instance, successful; and, as already observed, bear every characteristic of skill in the commanders, and valour in the men. Still they are minute and detached; and do not present an object that can be associated with our general ideas of the dignity of war. They seem but affairs of posts and of police, while the expense attending them was equal, if not superior, to that of a general campaign. These minor objects, however, were necessary for the purposes of security and tranquillity, to obviate the necessity of exertions on a greater scale in some cases, and to prepare the way for them in others, as in the case of the Isle of Bourbon. During the periods occupied by the events which we have narrated, the company's immediate trade suffered most inaterially by the loss of several ships. The Streatham, Europe, Charlton, and United Kingdom, were captured by the enemy's cruizers. The Asia struck on a bank in the Hoogly, and soundered. The Ardaseer, one of the largest ships built at Bombay, was burnt in that harbour,and several smaller

l vessels were lost in tempests, or taken

by the pirates of the Persian Gulph and of Mallia. Without entering into the details of these losses, which will be found in their proper places in the ca'alogue of occurrences, it may be proper to notice summarily the most striking particulars. The Europe and Streatham were returning to England with the Monarch, Earl Spencer, and Lord Keith, when, on the 25th of May, they parted company with their convoy, his Majes. ty's ship Victor, captain Stopford. Soon after, captain Hawes, of the Monarch, made the signal that his ship had a leak, which was found so dangerous, that, on a consultation of all the captains, he was ordered to bear away for Prince of Wales's island, and, as it was judged un-afe to allow him to proceed alone, the Earl Spencer was thereupon ordered to accompany the Monarch, and thus there remained only the Europe, Streatham, and Lord Keith in company on the 31st May, when they fell in with the French frigate La Caroline, commanded by Monsieur Ferretter, lieutenant de Vaisseau, in Latitude 9. 15. N. Longitude 90. 30. E. The coinpany's ships, though their crews were made up chiefly of foreign Europeans and lascars, defended themselves with great gallantry, till they were so much cut in their rigging, that the frigate was enabled to pour in her fire on them in such positions as she thought proper, when the Chinese and foreign Europeans, particularly the Portuguese, could no longer be kept to the guns, by any exertion of the officers. Two of the ships were in consequence compelled to strike, but they were in so shattered a condition, that the frigate was under the necessity of staying by them, and thus the lord Keith was furnished with an opportunity of making an effort to escape, of which slfe availed herself, and got clear off— The Venus however went in chase of her. The passengers and crews of the Charlton and United Kingdom were put on board a cartel and ordered to make for Perang—but being unable to make that port, she directed her course to Vizagapatam. The Asia, captain Tremenhere, was lost abreast of Mud Point, in Diamond harbour, on the 1st of June, by striking on a shifting sand. Every exertion was made to get her off, but to no purpose, and on the 2d, at half past two, A. M. when it was found that the ship was full and going to pieces, the people were taken out, and she was left to her fate. Very little of the cargo was saved. No blame attached to the captain or crew, who were immediately appointed to a company's frigate, built at Penang. The Charlton and United Kingdom were taken on the 18th November, in latitude 5 N. longitude, 92 E. proceeding to Bengal, by the French frigates, La Venus, captain Hameln, of 46 guns and 380 men, and La Manche, captain Donaldeguy, of the same force, and a corvette of 16

guns. The action was begun at 10, A. M., by one of the frigates, which sheered off in consequence of the warm reception she met. The Windham bore the brunt of this business, but when the action was renewed, she kept aloof, in a manner that is point-, edly animadverted upon by the commanders of the captured ships. The same frigate renewed the action with the Charlton and United Kingdom, but was again beaten off. At night, both frigates attacked the Charlton and United Kingdom again, (the Windham making off under a press of sail,) when those two ships, being totally disabled, were compelled to surrender. These successive events are all that were proposed to be noticed in the present chapter, so that we are at liberty to pursue the separate transactions of another portion of the British posses. sions, which would seem to require a peculiar and distinct attention.

« 이전계속 »