페이지 이미지

Lient.-Col. Morris, of tlw 49th regiment. The 18th Roval Irish, supported by the Royal Marines, under Mnjor-Gen. Burrell, I directed to carry a hill to their front, which was strongly occupied, and flanked the approach to the fort jiat mentioned. This movement was to cut oft'the communication between the two eastern forts, and to cover the advance of the 49th in their attack and storm of the nearest. Major-Gen. Burrell had directions to push on and take the prmcipal square fort when the 49th made their rush. Simultaneous with these attacks, the brigade of seamen was to carry the two western forts, covered fcy a concentrated hie from the guns and rockets.

) 1. During the whole of the advance my right had been threatened by a lar?« bodv of the enemy, which debouched from the western suburbs, and just as I was about to commence the attack a report was made that heavy columns were advancing on the right; I was, therefore, compelled to detach the Marines under Capt. Ellis, to support the brigade of seamen, and to cover my right and rear.

12. At about half 9 o'clock the advance was sounded, and it has seldom fallen to my lot to witness a more soldierlike and steady advance, or a more animated attack. Every individual, native as well as European, steadily and gallantly

\ttid his duty. The 18th and 49th were emulous which should first reach their appointed goals; but, under the impulse of this feeling, they did not lose sight of that discipline which could alone insure success. The advance of the 37th Madras Native Infantry and Bengal Volunteers, iu support, was rqually praiseworthy.

13. The result of this combined movement was, that the two forts were captured with comparatively small loss, and that, hi little more than half-an-hcnc. after the order to advance was given, the British troops looked down on Canton within 100 paces of its walls.

14. The well-directed fire of the artillery in the centre was highly creditable, mid did great execution.

l.r>. In eo-operation with theso attacks, I witnessed with no ordinary gratification the noble rush of the brigade of seamen, under their gallant leader Capt. Bourchier, exposed to a heavy lire from the whole of the north-western rampart. This right attack was equally successful, and here also the British standard proudly waved on the two western flirts, while the British tars looked down upon the north -western f.ice o/ the city and its suburb.

10. Dining the greater part of the day a very spirited fire from heavy pieces of orduance, gingals, and matchlocks, was kept up on the different columns occupying the heights and forts.

17." A strongly intrenched camp of considerable extent, ocenpied apparently by about 4,000 men, lay to the north-east of the city upon rising ground, separated by a tract of paddy land from the base of the heights. Frequent attacks were made upon my left by bodies sent from this encampment, but were as frequently repulsed bv the 49th. This, however, exposed the men to a heavy fire from the walls of the city.

18\ About 2 o'clock, perceiving that Mandarins of consequence were joining this force from the city, and had occupied a village in the re«r to my left, 1 directed the 40th to dislodge them. This was instantly effected in the some spirited manner that had marked every movement of this gallant corps. About 3 o'clock it was evident that seme Mandarin of high rank had reached the encampment (I have since understood that it was Yaug, the Tatar General), and that preparations were making for a fiesh attack. I ordered down the 1 Sib, therefore, with one company of the Royal Marines to re-inforec the 49th, and directed Major-Gcneral Burrell to assume the command, to repel the projected attack, and instantly to follow up the enemy across a narrow causeway, the only approach, and take and destroy the encampment. This duty was well and gallantly performed, but 1 regret to say with severe loss, from the difficulty of approach, exposed to a heavy fire from the guns and gingals on the north-east face of the city wall. The enemy were driven at all points and fled across the eountry; the encampment was burnt, the magazines, of which there were (cveral, blown up, and the permanent buildings of #on»idernblo extent set on fire. I had as much pleasure in witnessing, as I have in recording, my approval of the spirited conduct ot'Capt. Grattan, who commanded the two leading companies of the 18th across the causeway. These companies were followed by the 49th, the remainder of the 18th, and a company of Royal Marines, who passed along a bank of the paddy fields to their left. The enemy not appearing inclined to more out of the town to support this point, I directed the force to return to the heights.

19. Having reconnoitred the walls and and gates, I decided on taking the city by assault, or rather upon taking a strong fortified height of considerable extent 'within the city walls, before the panic ceased, but the hill in our rear being peculiarly rugged, and its base difficult of approach on account of the narrowness of the path, between wet paddy fields, I had only been enabled to get up a very few of the lightest pieces of ordnance, and a small portion of ammunition. I therefore deemed it right to await the arrival of this necessary arm to make the assault

20. The following morning, the 26th, at 10 o'clock, a flag of truce was hoisted on the walls, when I deputed Mr. Thorn (whom Captain Elliot had sent to me as interpreter) to ascertain the cause. A Mandarin stated that they wished for peace. 1 had it explained that, as General commanding the British, I would treat with none but the General commanding the Chinese troops, that we came before Canton much against the wishes of the British nation, hut that repeated insults and breaches of faith had compelled us to make the present movement, and that I woidd cease from hostilities fur two hours to enable their General to meet me and Sir Le Fleming Scnhousc, who kindly accompanied me throughout the whole operation, and to whose judicious arrangements and unceasing exertions for the furtherance of the united services (and I am proud to Bay they are united in hand and heart,) 1 cannot too strongly express my sense of obligation. I further explained that Captain Elliot, Her Majesty's Plenipotentiary, was with the advanced squadron to the south of the city, and that if 1 did not receive a communication from him, or had not a satisfactory interview with the General, I should at the termination of the two hours order the white flag to be struck. .

21. As the General did not make his appearance, although numerous mes■ages were received between this time (about noon) and 4. p.m., I hauled down the white flag. The enemy, however, did not, which was rather convenient, as it enabled me to get up my guns and ammunition, without exposing my men to fire.

22. During the night of the 2Cth everything was prepared on our side, with the exception of one 12-pounder howitzer, the carriage of which had been disabled. The guns, by the indefatigable exertions of the officers and men of the Royal Artillery, and Madras Artillery and Sappers, were placed in position. All was ready, and the necessary orders were given for opening the batteries at 7 o'clock on the morning of the 27th, and for the assault at 8, in 4 columns.

23. The right column, composed of the Royal Marines under Captain Ellis, had directions to pass through a deserted village to the right of the north gate, to blow the gate open with powder-bags if possible, and if not, to escalade a circular work throwu up as a second defence to that gate.

21. The second column on the right, consisting of the brigade of seamen, under Captain Bourchier, was directed to make the assault by escalade on the opposite side of the circular defence, where the wall appeared comparatively low, covered by a heavy fire of musketry from the hill within pistol-shot of the wall. This column would have been exposed only to the fire of a few flanking guns, which I calculated would have been kept under by the fire of the covering party.

25- The 18th Royal Irish, under Lieutenant-Colonel Adams, wera ordered to advance from the rear of a hill close to the five storied pagoda, and to escalade tin; walls behind this pagoda, which was not flunked, except by one gun, although they were very high, from 28 to 30 feet; but I hoped by the concentraied fin of ihe guns to have reduced an exceedingly high nnd apparently s%lii puaret. 1 he escalade of this corps was to he covered by the Bengal Volunteers a»U company of the 37th Madras Native Infantry.

20. The left assault was to be made by the 49th, under Lieutenant-Cokwl Morris. This corps was directed to escalade by a bastion directly in froe! cf, and commanded by, the principal fort in our possession, called by the Chine* Yung-Kang-Tai, the fire of musketry from which would have prerentedtis enemy from making use of their guns To strengthen this attack, two Ctbhpatties of the 37th Madras Native Infantry were to occupy the heights and keep up a rapid fire upon the wall.

27. The ground was peculiarly favourable for these several attacks, and f« the effective fire of the covering parties, without a chance of injuring tbei»sailants. The heights which we occupied ore from 90 to 250 paces from d* city wall, with a precipitous glen intervening. On making a lodgementTM the walls, each column was to communicate with and support that on its inner flank, and, when united, to make a rush for the fortified bill within the waib, on which the artillery was directed to play from the moment the advance ra sounded. I directed Captain Knowles to ascertain as far as practicable, by us fire of heavy rockets and shells, whether it was mined, which alone I apprehended, the Chinese usually forming their mines so as to make them liable to explosion by such means.

28. The flags of truce still appeared upon the walls at daylight on the 271*, and at a quarter past G o'clock I was on the point of sending the interpreter to, explain that I could not respect such a display, after my flag had been taken down, and should at once resume hostilities. At this moment an officer of if* Koyal navy, who had been travelling all night, having missed his way, handed me the accompanying letter from Her Majesty's Plenipotentiary. Whatever might be my sentiments, my duty was to asquiesce; ihe attack, which «» to have commenced in 45 minutes, was countermanded, and the feelings of iw Chinese were spared. Of the policy of the measure I do not consider myself a competent judge; but I say "feelings," as I would have been responsible that Canton should be equally spared, with the exception of its defence", and that not a soldier should have entered the town further than the fortified heights within its walls.

29. At 10 o'clock Yang, the Tatar General, requested a conference, wien Sir Le Fleming Senhouse accompanied me, and a long and uninteresting parley ensued, in which I explained, that Her Majesty's Plenipotentiary haviug resumed negotiations with the local authorities, 1 should await a further communication from him. At 12 Captain Elliot arrived in camp, and all further active operations ceased.

30. The following day at 12, in a conference with the Kwang-chow-Fwi under the waHs, every arrangement was made for the evacuation of the city by as large a portion of the Tatar troops as could he got ready, and I permit'TM n Mandarin of rank to pass through my lines to procure quarters for them. I was now given to understand that the force amounted to 45,000 men from other provinces, exclusive of the troops belonging to the Uuangtung province. At the request of Captain Elliot I ccquiesced in the former passing out of ln< north-east gate to the left of my position, and permitted them to carry away their arms and baggage, on condition that no banner should be displayed or music sounded.

31. About 12 the following day I perceived numbers of men, apparently irregulars, and armed for the most part with long spears, shields, and sword* collecting upon the heights, three or four miles in my rear. As they continued rapidly to increase, detaching bodies to their front, I directed General BiirreU to take charge of our position, and hold every man ready, in case a sortie or olhrr act of treachery, under cover of n Mag of trine, should be intended; and ( udtunccd with a wing of the 26th {which corps 1 had withdrawn twoda}* previously from .the factories,) companies of the 49th, the 37th Madras Native Infantry, and the company of Bengal Volunteers, supported by the Royal Marines. The two latter corps I kept in reserve, ready to return and act on the flank, should an attack be made on our position from the town. When I descended the heights, about 4,000 men appeared in my front. I directed the wing of the 26ih, under Major Pratt, supported by the 37th Madras Native Infantry, to advance and drive them from rather a strong position they had taken up behind an embankment along the bed of a stream. This duty the 26th and 37th performed most creditably; and, as the Chinese made a rally at 'what appeared to be a military post in my front, I directed that it should ho destroyed, which was instantly effected by the 26th, and a magazine, unexpectedly found in tlte village, was blown up. These duties having been performed without the loss of a man, the Chinese throwing away their spears and flying the moment a fire was opened upon them, I directed the 49th, Royal Marines, and Bengal Volunteers to fall back on our position, and remain with the wing of the 26th and 37th Madras Native Infantry (about 289 men) to watch the movements of the Chinese, who had retreated to a range of heights in my front, having no banners, and apparently but few matchlocks amongst them. Within two hours, however, from 7,000 to 8,000 men had collected and displayed numerous banners. When I first moved, I had ordered Captain Kuowles, of the Royal Artillery, to bring out a few rockets, but our advance was so rapid that he did not get them up until after the repulse of the first body.

- 32. At this moment the heat of the sun was hardly supportable, and both officers and men were greatly exhausted. I must here state, and with sincere sorrow, that Major Becher, Deputy-Quarterm.ister-General, a most estimable and willing officer, whose services throughout the previous operations were as creditable to him as they were satisfactory to me, fell by my side from overexertion, and expired within a few minutes. My Aide-dc-Camp, Captain Gough, was also alarmingly unwell from the same cause, and I ordered him back to camp when the enemy were repulsed, but, hearing that the Chinese were again assembling, he returned, and meeting the Bengal Volunteers, very judiciously brought them back.

33. The Chinese having advanced in great force, some rockets were fired at them, but, although thrown with great precision, appeared to have little effect, and, as the approach of a thunder storm was evident, I became anxious, before it broke, to disperse this assemblage, whose approach bespoke move determination than I had previously witnessed. I ordered Major Pratt to attack a large body who were advancing through the paddy fields on his left, and to clear the hills to his front. Captain Dull; with the 37th Madras Native Infantry, supported by the Bengal Volunteers, under Captain Mee, 1 ordered to advance direct to his front, and dislodge a body which had re-occupied the post that we had previously burnt, and then push forward and clear the hills to his front, I witnessed with much satisfaction the spirited manner in which these officers executed my orders, and the enemy were driven in at all points. The right of the 37th being threatened by a military post at the foot of the hills to our right the Bengal Volunteers dispersed the occupants. This, however, separated them from the 37th Madras Native Infantry, and perceiving that this latter corps was advancing further than I intended, 1 requested Captain Ommcniiey, of the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry, who with Lieutenant Makenzie of Her Majesty's 90th Regiment, accompanied me as amateurs, and both were most zealous and useful in conveying my orders, to direct the Bengal Volunteers to move up to its support. Captain Duff, meanwhile, to open his communication with the 26th on his left, had detatched a company nuclei Lieutenant Hadfield for that purpose.

34. The thunder-storm was now most awful, and finding that as our men advanced the Chinese retired, I considered that it would be injudicious to follow them further, and directed the whole to fall back. The rain continued to fall in torrents, and most of the firelocks had got wet; at one time the 26th had been unable to fire a single musket; this emboldened the Chinese, who, in many instance, attacked our men hand to hand, and the 2Cth had frequently to charge bodies that advanced close to them.

35. As the Chinese, even in this mode of warfare, could make no impression, they retreated, and the 26th and 37th Madras Native Infantry and Bengal Volunteers fell back. Understanding from Captain Duff that his detached company wna with the 26th, I directed the whole, after a short halt, to return to our position, and was exceedingly annoyed, on the force concentrating, to find that the detached company under Lieutenant Hadfield had never joined the 26th. 1 immediately ordered two companies of Marines with the percussion locks to return with Captain Duff to the scene of this day's contest. It gives me no ordinary gratification to say that a little after dusk they found Lieutenant Hadfield with his gallant company in square surrounded by some thousand Chinese, who, as the 37th's firelocks would not go off, had approached close to them. The Sepoys, I am proud to say, in this critical situation, nobly upheld the high character of the native army, by unshrinking discipline and cheerful obedience, and I feel that the expression of my best thanks is due to Lieut-. Hadfield and Devercux, and Ensign Berkely, who zealously supported him during this trying scene. The lost named officer, I regret to say, was severely wounded. The Marines with Captain Duff fired a couple of volleys into this crowd' which instantly dispersed them with great loss.

36. At daylight next morning I felt myself called upon to send into the ciiy and inform the Kwang-chow-Foo, that if, under existing circumstances, a similar insult was offered, or any demonstration made, indicative of hostile interruption to the negotiations pending under a flag of truce for the evacuation of the city by the Chinese troops, and a ransom for its deliverance, I would at once haul down the white flag and resume hostilities. At 12 Captain Klliot joined me, and a communication was received that the Kwang-chow-Foo would meet us under the walls. Previous to his arrival, vast numbers of Chinese appeared on the hills, from which we had driven them the night before, and which during the early part of the morning, had been clear. Guns and gingalls were fired in all directions, various banners displayed, and large parties thrown out in advance. About 7,500 Tatar troops had marched out of the city that morning, and where still moving with their arms, but, as stipulated, without music or banners. I felt some doubt whether treachery Was not contemplated, and 1 therefore made such a disposition of our troops as to insure its defeat. By two o'clock from 12,000 to 15,000 men, evidently the same description of force that we had met the preceding day, had assembled on the same heights.

37. The Kwang-chow-Foo now arrived, and it becama evident, as he was perfectly in my power, that no combination existed between the troops in the town or those marching out and the assemblage in my rear; 1 therefore ordered the wing of the 26lh (the other wing had been left at Tsing-hee,) to keep up the communication with the rear, and a wing of the 49th, with the 37th Madras Native Infantry, and tlie Royal Marines, to be prepared to disperse the assailants. On joining the Kwang-chow-Foo, and explaining my determination to put my tlueat in force, if the enemy advanced, he assured me that this hostile movement was without the knowledge, and against the wishes of the Chinese authorities; that there were no Mandarins with this militia in our rear; that it had assembled to protect the villages in the plain, and that he would instantly send off a Mandarin of rank, (his own assistant) with orders for its immediate dispersion, if 1 would depute an officer to accompany him.

38. Captain Moore, of the 34th Bengal Native Infantry, Deputy JudgeAdvocate-Cieneral, volunteered this hazardous duty. That officer had accompanied me as one of my personal staff throughout all the operations, and he and Major Wilson, Paymaster to the expedition, who kindly volunteered to act in lilt same capacity, hud by their zealous service been most useful to roe in a

« 이전계속 »