페이지 이미지

Trinity-House, London, Mar. 10th, 1843. Horse CHANNEL.—Notice is hereby given, that this Corporation has caused a standing Beacon to be placed upon the South Hook or Spit of Margate Sand, near to the red and white chequered buoy which has heretofore marked that spit, and which buoy will now be taken away.

This beacon is placed upon the dry sand at low water neap tides, with the following marks and compass bearings, viz.-Hillborough Church Tower in line with a Barn next west of George's Farm House W.b.S. A S; Birchington West Windmill, its apparent length on the west end of Birchington Wood S.S.E. Easterly ; South Margate Buoy, E.b.S. ; S.; Gore Patch Buoy, N.W.b.W.; Horse Buoy, N.W.b.W. W.

By order, J. HERBERT, Secretary.

Death or H.R.H. The Duke of Sussex. London Gazette, Friday Evening.-Whitehall, April 21, 1843: This day at a quarter past twelve o'clock, His Royal Highness Augustus Frederick Duke of Sussex, Uncle to Her Most' Gracious Majesty, departed this life at Kensington Palace, to the great grief of Her Majesty and all the Royal Family.

Yesterday morning, at eight o'clock, the medical gentlemen found their Royal patient, who had passed another very bad night, in a state which precluded all hope of recovery, and they stated it as their belief that it was now only a question of time as to when death would ensue. His Royal Highness who was still sensible, shortly afterwards expressed a wish that his servants should be called up to take their leave of him ; they accordingly repaired to the painful scene-for it was now but too evident that the minutes of the Duke's life were numbered. When the servants entered the room, he made an effort to speak, but the effort failed himhe could not articulate--and in a few seconds was no more. The Duchess of Inverness, the Duke of Cambridge, who had been with his suffering brother all the morning, the four equerries, the medical gentlemen, and the servants, were the persons present when death terminated the scene.

For several days past not the slightest hopes had been entertained of His Royal Highness's ultimate recovery, and the bulletins of the last day or two had prepared the public to expect a fatal termination of the Royal Duke's disease at no distant period. The Duke was through life the constant advocate of liberal principles, the encourager of learning and science, and the patron of all deserving aspirants in the various walks of art—as well as the benevolent supporter of most of the various charities which adorn and distinguish the British metropolis. His Royal Highness was a kind-hearted and excellent master, and the grief which the members of his household evince shows with what poignancy they feel the loss. His favourite Highland piper, who has been in his service 17 years, is inconsolable. The Duke was born Jan. 27, 1773, and was consequently in his 71st year. His Royal Highness was a Fellow of the Royal Society, and for some time President of that learned body; a Doctor of Civil Law; and, in addition to the chief title, was Earl of Inverness and Baron Arklow, He married at Rome, 4th April, 1793, and at St. George's, Hanover Square, 5th Dec. of the same year, Lady Augusta Murray, daughter of John, fourth Earl of Dunmore, by whom he had issue Augustus Frederick d'Este, a Colonel in the Army, born 13th Jan. 1794, and one daughter, Mdle. d'Este. The marriage being in violation of the Royal Marriage Act (12th Geo. III., cap, II,) was declared null and void, and accordingly disolved in Aug., 1794. In 1796 he was installed a Knight of the Garter; and in Nov., 1801, he was created a Peer of the Realm; in 1830, a Knight of the Thistle; and in 1837, acting Grand Master of the Order of the Bath, and Colonel of the Artil. lery Company; he was also Grand Master of the Freemasons' Society, having succeeded to that honour on his brother George IV. coming to the throne.

The mortal remains of the Duke will be deposited in the Royal mausoleum in St. George's Chapel, Windsor. The body will lie in state either at Kensington Palace or the Waterloo Chamber at Windsor Castle, and the funeral will be conducted in all respects similar to that of the late Duke of York. It is said that, in his will, he desired that his remains might be deposited in the cemetry at Kensall Green.

Wrecks of British SHIPPING.
(Continued from p. 212.-cs, crew saved; cd. crew drowned.)



Mather Havre Hamburg by fire Mar. 24. cs Alfred 210 Coal taden Pearce Swansea

Aidmore B. Feb. 21. cs Acasta London

Ennore Calcutta not heard of since Sep 22

P. Coubre
St. John,NB

Newcastle St. John Sandy I. Ap. 5.

Sussex coast Jan. 21.

Bermuda Petty New York Liverpool not heard of since Oct 21 Blossom 2151

Chatham I. July 22, cs Bridget

Sydney Kennedy Halifax Jamaica abandoned Feb. 26. Cs Ceres

Young Newcastle Stettin Cattegat Mar. 13. cs Chieftain Belfast Porter Matanzas Cork

foundered Mar. ce Childers Sillis Singapore

Palawan Jan. 9. cs Cornubia 220

Bell Liverpool Maranham Atacalema Jan. 13. Ce Diana Kirkaldy Packwood Bathurst Leith

abandoned Jan. 18. cs Dusty Miller

Saunders Hobart Twn P. Philip Portland B. Dec. Effort


abandoned crew landed at Sunder land

Shields London Whitley Mar. 27.
Bolk Wicklow

Skerwthr S. Mar. 3.
Elizabeth 225

- Cope Sydney Plymouth N. Scotia Jan. 10. C Escort

Hartlepool Smales Hartlepool Bordeaux North Sea Mar. 19. cs Feronia Bistol Taylor

C. St. Vinc't Mar. 60 Flora

Corkhill Dublin Whitehaven I. Man Apr. 2. ce Frances

Cork Madden London Bristol Dungeness Feb. 18. cd Gem 230 reported lost on Chatham I.

Sept. G. Miller

St. Marys Cuba

not heard of since Oc. 25 George Sunderland Graham

Warkworth Mar. 27 Cs George Shields

Newcastle Grenada Isle of Wight Jan. 13 15 Gertrude


Madras Jan. 25, Harmony 235 Greenock

China reported

|Ap. 4. Hibernia

Preston Whiteside Dundalk run down off Linas |Ap. 1 Ids

Newcastle Calcutta

Mar. 3. Isabella

Brown Aux Cayes Falmouth Castle I. Mar. 4. 'cs Isabella

Crawford S. Shields London Hasbro' Mar. 3.

Campo Bello Jan.
Jas. Kerr 2401


Nova Scotia Jan.

By fire! 35° N. 18° W. Mar. 22 cs John and Eliz. Montrose Erskine Edinburgh Montrose

Mar. all a Jura

M'Gilerag Jura

Glasgow Cambelton Feb. 21. Cs Looker in

Sydney N. Zealand

Lord Ernest 245 Seaham

Bempton C.
Lord Hawksbery

Spencer Falmouth Shoreham sunk in squll Ap. 4.

Androssan Dublin off Drogheda Feb. 20. 3d Martha

Sunderland Patten Sunderland Montreal Rattray B. Mar. 31. Cs

Stockton Milanby crew saved by Eugene Feb. 18. Medora 250 Hartlepool

Hartlepool Faversham abandoned Mar. 30 Ocean Child Crew

picked up by Jessie in lat 35° long. 43° Feb. 1 Ocean Queen Harringtn Launceston Balli

Abrolhos, A. Sept. 14. cs Orb

Green Windsor Brenda not heard of since Sp. 15 Orient Falmouth

Quebec London Cornwall Ap. 1. Phoebe 255 Barnett Edwards

Hasbro's. Ap. 4. cs
Aldernock Neilson

Laurvig Orkney Ap.5.
Poole Kimber

Poole Pevensy B. Ap. 8.


sold for benefit of underwritrs Sker Point Ap. 3. Salamanca

Fox Truro Newcastle JOff Rye JAp. 6. Sarah

Jones Cardiff Dublin Arklow B. Jan. 3. cs Salus

Mckinlay Greenock supposed lost on Jan. 26.
2601 -
Perry Havana Jabandoned

Jan. 15. cs Sarah

Bristol Narchevil sprung a leak and sunk Ap. 2. cs Stillman

Glasgow Murray Glasgow Demerara Ireland Mar. 25. cs T. Dryden

N. Shields Stanners Newcastle Dublin Duncan B. Mar. 21. es Thalia


Maranham Jan. 25

Manicougan Nov.
Chepstow Williams

Scomar S. Jan.
Three Sisters Plymouth

Dungeness Ap. 9. Truganini

Lay B. near P. Philip Dec. Volant

Duncan Greenock St. Thomas Mayo Jan. 26. Wilberforce


Maranham Feb. CS William and Ann London

Robin H. By Feb. 10. 270 London Hinds Antwerp Hartlepool Hartlepool Feb. 23. ld

The Crews of eight of these vessels were forwarded by Agents of the Shipwrecked Fishermen

and Mariners' Benevolent Society.


Since the formation of our usual table of the havoc made in our Merchant Shipping, the loss of the Solway steamer, one of the vessels of the Royal West India Mail Company has taken place, making the third total loss sustained by them ; and no sooner does this sad intelligence reach us by which we learn that about torty lives have been sacrificed, than it is followed by accounts of the loss of H.M.S. Megæra on Bare Bush Cay, Portland Bay, in the Island of Jamaica. The Solway's disaster is amply accounted for by the course she was steering, as will appear in the following extracts from the papers, and there is nothing whatever to occasion surprise further than that such a course was steered before she had got a sufficient offing.

How much longer is human life to be thus jeapordized and sacrificed by blundering navigators. Have we not had enough instances of incompetency on the part of some of our Commanders, or are we to wait for some more along with the destruction of some hundreds, perhaps, thousands of lives! Had the Solway got a proper offing before she shaped her course, this loss would have been spared.

The Solway sailed from Southampton on Saturday, 1st of April, and reached Coruna all well. On the 7th instant she left Coruna for Madeira, on her voyage to the West Indies, and passed the lighthouse at ten o'clock; at ten minutes past twelve she struck, at full speed, on the Baldayo Shoal, and struck several times going over the shoal, finally going down in 13 fathoms water, between the shoal and main land. Only twenty minutes elapsed after she first struck before she went down. The water soon reached the engine-room, and we are informed the boilers collapsed and blew up. Most of the passengers and crew off duty had turned in. The weather was still, and the night moonlight, otherwise the destruction of life would have been far greater. The pinnace was launched first, and, as many as it could conveniently hold were lowered into it, but the frail barque was not destined to reach the shore. From some cause still unexplained, it was capsized, and every one on board perished; one paddle-box boat was next launched, and being cut adrift to save time, fell broadside in the water, and half filled; notwithstanding which, it was the fortunate means of saving 52 persons. Captain Duncan died in the courageous act of loosing the second paddle-box boat, to land the remaining persons on board. He was last seen on the paddle-box at this humane duty, when the ill-fated vessel went down, and he was lost. * * *

On going out of the harbour, we passed one of the paddle-box boats apparently full of people ; further on we passed one of the quarter boats, with nine men in her. We got to the Solway about half-past twelve o'clock at noon, and to give you an idea of what depth of water she is in, I may state that her mizenmast is just out of the water. She is rolling very much, and is probably to pieces by this time, as it is now blowing a heavy gale north-west. **

The ship is about three miles from the main; the agent has a guard abreast of her, in order to pick up the dead, or any property that may come ashore; and when the gale abates I will, if the agent deems it necessary, proceed to the spot in a boat. * *

“ Having seen in your paper various accounts relative to the loss of the Solway, and being, I believe, the only passenger at present in London, I feel it particularly incumbent on me to place before the public certain facts connected with the sad catastrophe which has led to so lamentable a loss of life. The task is an ungracious one, nor would I undertake it, but that an imperative sense of duty induces me to do so. Before entering further on the subject, let me bear testimony to Captain Duncan's kindly bearing to all classes on board his ship, and also to his disregard of personal safety-his only anxiety being to save the lives of others. It is due also to the company to state that nothing was

wanting on their part that could conduce to the efficiency of the service or the welfare of the passengers. The elements of comfort were in profusion on board, and the ship was itself a tower of strength and an admirable sea boat. Having stated thus much (and indeed it would have been wrong to have said less) I have now to communicate the fact, which rests upon good anthority, that the course the Solway pursued on quitting the harbour of Coruna, and until the moment she struck, was W.N.W.; whereas, to clear the island of Sisaraga, I am assured by persons conversant with the matter, her course should have been N.W.b.W.-the difference in the two courses being from four to five miles. On reference to the chart, it will be seen that the course she took would bring her within 200 yards (as she did not move after striking) of the spot where she now lies. There were two compasses for the guidance of the officers on duty and the steersman. Admitting they were both wrong, the land was distinctly visible from the beam and both bows; we were, in fact, completely embayed. If there had been any indraught in the bay, such as to affect the Solway, how could it be possible that the boat, with only three oars, and a board, instead of another, between two persons, could have withstood it? I escaped by jumping from the spar-deck overboard in the hope of reaching a small boat crowded with seamen and engineers. I was immersed in the water, and my legs severely contused by the side of the boat. I was nearly suffocated by the smoke and ashes which rushed up from the hold. For a considerable time I could not distinctly observe what was passing on board the ship, but I saw her sinking. The whole period which elapsed from the time she struck until she went down did not exceed 25 minutes, and certainly she did not move 100 yards from the reef on which she originally struck. I would here remark, that although I give Captain Duncan every credit for endeavouring to allay the fears and alarm of the passengers, I am bound to state that had a different course heen pursued, and the life-boats instantly lowered after the vessel struck, every soul who could be roused from sleep would have been saved.

When the Solway struck there were light airs, inclinable to calm, with swell. It being a few minutes after midnight most of those on board (except those looking out on their usual watch) were asleep. Those saved in the few boats lowered down were almost in a state of nudity. The vessel sank in 25 minutes after she struck. The Spanish consul, Edwardo Santos, and the commanders of two French vessels of war (one a steamer, which went alongside the wreck), gave all the assistance in their power. The captain-general, his lady, and daughters, also behaved with the utmost kindness on the melancholy occasion.

With regard to the loss of the Megæra, the following extract from a letter, with the sentence of the Court-martial on Lieut. Oldmison will inform our readers sufficiently respecting it. Sir.—As I have just been employed recovering the stores, &c. of Her Majesty's late steamer Megæra, I think it likely you would be glad to hear the particulars relative to her loss. She left Port Royal (for Mexico) on the evening of the 4th inst., and having discharged the pilot at the entrance of the South Channel, shaped a course for some time to the south ward and S.S.W. after which they hauled up west or W.b.N. and at eleven P.m. found themselve amongst breakers and immediately stopped the engines, but too late ; she had struck. The cutter was lowered with a Master's-Assistant and four men to examine the spot, but she was almost instantly capsized, and the Master's-Assistant and three of the men succeeded in getting to the dry part of the reef, one of the boat's crew being lost. At daylight they found themselves on the Bare Bush Cay, about 200 fathoms to the southward of the dry part described in the Chart. The sea broke heavily towards morning, and unfortunately the 5th was one of the strongest breezes from south-east that we had had for some months, (as a proof, one of the Warspite's boats and one of the Pickle’s were capsized in Port Royal,

on the afternoon of the same day; four of the Warspite's men were drowned,) and the Masters Assistant fortunately got off the reef to leeward, on board a droger which brought him to Port Royal the same evening. At daylight the Acorn steamer, towed one of the dock yard vessels (that I had fitted out in the event of vessels getting on shore on the reefs) down to her assistance, and when we arrived at the reef her main-mast had been cut away, and the crew with the exception of two men had left her. Fortunately a canoe with some black men had come over, in which I ventured to get on board, and after having been capsized twice in the surf succeeded in getting on board, when we got a hawser to the shore, and after getting more people on board, commenced to land the stores, &c., and although the coral reefs are so irregular that the men can scarcely stand, we succeeded in loading a vessel with stores, clothing, &c. the following day, which we took to Port Royal and returned again, and have continued up to this time. But every thing in the shape of wearing apparel, is completely spoiled, having been obliged to throw it into the surf to get it on shore, a part of the Engine has been landed, but the hull of the vessel cannot be removed she had thrown herself broadside on, and the starboard side being perfectly stove.

The survey of this place, Bare Bush Key, &c., by Mr. Leard, 1791 is excellent, and I assure you that although we had what was considered the principal pilot at Port Royal, yet he could not give us half the information the Chart did, as we have been enabled to anchor the vessels on the edge of the reef, under the Island in 4 fathoms about half a mile off shore.

I remain, &c.,
March 20th, 1843.


A Court-Martial was held on the 16th and 17th March, on hoard H.M.S. Imaum, on Lieut. George Oldmixen, the officers and ships company of H.M. late steam frigate Megæra, recently wrecked on Bare Bush Cay. It appeared by the evidence adduced, that the wreck of the vessel was caused by an extraordinary current, which was setting inshore on the night of the unfortunate disaster; and the Court adjudged Lieut. Oldmixen to be admonished and the second master to be severely reprimanded; the other officers and ship's company to be acquitted.

It appears that in the great gale in the Gulf of Mexico, in September last, three vessels of war were lost, as they were in the gulf at the time, and have not since been heard of. They were the English brig-of-war Victor, the French brig-of-war Dunois, and the Texan schooner-of-war San Antonio. Nearly or quite three hundred men perished with these vessels.


Admiralty, April 11th, 1843. The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty having had under their consideration the importance of carefully preserving the Standard Compasses supplied to Her Majesty's ships and vessels from the Compass Department, are pleased to direct, that in future they shall be placed under the charge of the Captain, or Commanding officer, similarly to chronometers, who will be required to certify on the Master's final bill for full-pay, “ that the Standard Compass has been properly attended to, and duly returned to the dock-yard at by the Master."

Whenever it shall be found requisite to move the said Instrument to or from the shore, or from ship to ship, it is always to be done in the presence of the Master or a Commissioned officer.

The Master Attendants of the Dock-yards or their assistants have been directed minutely to inspect each Compass, immediately on its return from the ship or vessel to which it has

been supplied, and to report to the Superintendent of the Compass Department, its state and condition, the number of Cards, Azimuth Circles, &c., in order that he may be advertised of any unusual or unaccounted for dilapidation, and take the necessary steps to ascertain the cause from the Captain or Commanding officer before the certificate for its return shall be given, which certificate from the Superintendent of the Compass Department will be required to be produced by the Captain or Commanding officer, before he can recieve his final bill for full-pay,--the same to be lodged in the Hydrographer's office.

Where Marine barometers shall have been issued to Her Majesty's Ships, the charge and return of these Instruments are to be subject to the same regulation, and to be issued with the certificate for Chronometers and Charts. By command of their Lordships,

SIDNEY HERBERT. To all Captains, &c.,

« 이전계속 »